FENCING

fultzie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
I was wondering about my choice of fencing..i was gonna use 2x4x12g.x 6' ,all in-closed .my concern is ..can a coon squeeze its head in this type of wire or should i be ok?
idunno.gif

A coon can reach in and pull a chicken apart.
Many folks put an additional 2ft of chicken wire around the bottom to prevent reaching hands.
Also, any open windows the girls can get close to need to be covered in hardware cloth.

My exterminator told me about his Brittany spaniel (since I have one too) and his wife's chickens...... The dog stays in an outside kennel and the chickens free range. The dog will put a piece of her food by the kennel fence and lay down and act like she's sleeping. After awhile a chicken will come around and stick it's head through the kennel wire to get the dog food and the dog then gets the chicken by the head. He says he's seen her do it more than once.

Moral of the story. You don't want your chickens sticking their heads out through the wire to get a bug or whatever, something may be waiting for them!

Last edited:
yes this is true i was gonna put 2' chicken wire around the bottom as well..as im reading more and more i should be ok with the 2x4 wire too..almost got the coop done ..cant wait :)
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom