Feral Cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by neuchicontheblock, Aug 12, 2010.

1. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I am so upset. The best roo in the world got it from a feral cat this evening 5 minutes after I saw him last. He was caught off guard since he was in the back yard. Chili was a magnificant Americana roo, well tempered, beautiful to look at, did his job. I just don't know what to do...( I know what I'm gonna do to that cat, but, you know what I mean...)
    RIP my friend.[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

3. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Thank you [​IMG]

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'm so sorry, [​IMG]

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Chili looked like a magnificent bird. I'm sure his service to your flock will be missed. Sorry for your loss. RIP poor Chili [​IMG]

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

RIP Chili.

I am going out to feed the ferals I've tamed. I've found big dogs and fed cats haven't hurt my chickens any. Wish I felt safe leaving the dogs in the yard when the chickens are loose. They are good dogs, but I just don't trust them with my chickens.. And I don't think they would have stopped the hawk...&$&%^@$&*())(W$

(my hen didn't have a name, she was just a bard rock. I can't tell my birds apart except for species, and the one production red who does not yet have the submissive squat down pat.)

Gypsi

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your rooster, very sad.

People should spay and neuter their pets, even the feral ones, because they don't wander around to other people's properties that much afterward. Not saying they won't do ANY hunting, but it lessens the possibility that they will roam around a wide area.

I love little killdeer, yes I know that's not a domestic bird, but their adorable, fuzzy, incredibly cute chicks get eaten by feral cats quite a bit. And, they leave parts behind which is really disturbing and upsetting.

One thing that people do in our area is to fence their property, or at least near their animal pens, with barbed wire with chicken wire between the strands and extra strands of barbed wire on top. The holes in the wire are big enough for mice, rats and baby killdeer or quail to escape, but not let cats, foxes and coyotes in. They sometimes put the first strand low to the ground or bury the fence a little. It can be expensive for very large properties, but it does wonders in keeping unwanted ground predators out of the area.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    [​IMG]

9. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    So sorry about your Roo.Ive had to deal with a few feral's over the year's but I don't think they ever got one of my bird's.We had 2 squatter cat's We inherited with house 6 year's ago and they became family great cat's.But were outside kittie's and We kept food dishes filled etc. for them which We knew a couple of the feral's were stealing food.We actualy got a young one a couple year's ago and got it tame enough to place in a home.We have NEVER been able to get near the big yellow male one here which we suspect he was dad to the one we got.I havent saw him for month's here now.An awesome lady at vet had trapped a crazy wild huge grey one and had it at vet to fix.She had been feeding for a year and brought it in a trap with gloves.It's not going to keep them from hunting naturaly or getting into garbage etc. if there isn't food for them to eat though.My daughter just adopted a pair of kittens a couple months ago and We will be on her to get them fixed if she plan's on keeping them!Feral's are usualy the result of uncaring owner's dropping kitten's or cat's on roadside.They breed in a natural habitat without human contact so yes they are going to be wild!People have dropped dogs here 2 female kitten's which one had kittens months later etc.Well at least they had a mind set they got lots of critters lets drop em here.Yea we fed loved home and found good homes for all them but .....People need to be more responsible!

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

fortunately, a hungry cat is pretty easy to trap with a live trap (unless he's been trapped before) a killer cat would need to be put down, but I really like the idea of trap/neuter/release since having a good outdoor cat around will somewhat keep other strays away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by