1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feral cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FingerLakesChick, Jun 12, 2007.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I haven't seen too many messages on here about feral cats. I know from 2 separate incidents that they are out there to get your chicks!! So watch out!! Don't discount them as a real threat.

A feral cat took 2 and injured 1 of my 2 week old chicks about 10 days ago. That cat has been relocated. Last night we scared off another trying to get at my now 3 week old girls!! The trap is set for this one!!

Just keep an eye out, they are sneaky and smart.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not just feral cats. We had to build Fort Knox to keep our cat at bay. [​IMG]

3. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    I know that some cat's that if they really are hungry will go back to the preditor they are but i have never had a problem with are well fed cat's

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I had a feral tom cat that would terrorize my female cat everytime she was outside. Snce I've had my flock free-ranging (12 wk old), the cat is gone. He must be afraid of the alpha rooster...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by