Feral chicken: Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ybhco, Dec 25, 2016.

1. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    [​IMG]

My sister gave me a feral chicken that she caught, and I'm thinking about introducing it to my coop (3 hens). It's considerably smaller than the hens, but the shape of the tail concerns me. They kept it for a few days and said that it doesn't crow. What do we think... are we dealing with a hen or a rooster?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Female. Looks like she has some game fowl in her mix.

3. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I would say it look likes a hen, but, if in two days, it still hasn't crowed, I would say it's almost definately a hen.

4. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    That's great news. Follow-up question: If the other hens (one barred rock, one australorp, one orpington) get along with her, do you see any issues with adding her to the coop?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she's a beauty

6. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Right? She's VERY small compared to my birds, but it seems like they've made peace in the coop. They're all upstairs nested down for the night and I'm not hearing any growling or scratching.

7. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

the biggest danger is with game hens they don't always play nice with the more docile hens. I recommend putting her in at night and be there to watch reactions.

8. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hen looks like a game mix

9. Mcatgirl

Mcatgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2016
    Ohio
    When adding a new chicken make sure you keep them separate for a month to prevent any spread of sickness or disease. You probably all ready know that though. She's beautiful! Love her pattern on her feathers.

10. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Well... bad news: My other three hens were furious when I put the new one in the coop. They managed to make peace and everyone slept upstairs in the coop last night, but the hens woke up just as ****** off. This bird is about half the size of my chickens, and she was getting picked on if she tried to leave the upper deck of the coop.

I opened the coop this morning to check on her, and she bolted. She flew straight out and made a bee-line for the wooded lot behind my house. On the bright side (1) she's been living in the wild her whole life, so she knows what she's doing, (2) the brush is so thick in the wooded lot that she'll be safe from hawks and dogs, (3) there's some old crap back there that she can nest in and (4) she knows where the coop and the food is if she wants to come back.

I'm going to leave a dog crate (the one I transported her here in) open and next to the coop with some feed in case she wants to come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by