1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feral Chickens - Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sgtmom52, May 25, 2008.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We just got back from a trip to Hawai'i, where our daughter graduated from Hawai'i Pacific University. While snorkling at Hanauma Bay we spotted several flocks of feral chickens wandering around on the beach. The roosters were beautiful and each had about 4 or 5 hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    How cool! I love the idea of feral chickens. One of my fav things in Key West is seeing the chickens in unexpected places. They are so charming!
    The rooster in your pic is really beautiful. I wonder what their heritage is and where they came from.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Great pics! It is interesting to see what the breeds devolve to when left to mate in a wild setting.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:The rooster in the pic has the same color pattern as a salmon faverolle, but I know that that coloring shows up in other breeds as well.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That rooster is a stunner!! My brother and his wife love going to Hawaii, and they always take pictures of the feral chickens for me. [​IMG]

6. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
  7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My daughter laughed at me for taking pictures of them. She wondered how many other people would go to Hawai'i and take pictures of feral chickens. I told her probably about 10,000 other BackYard Chicken members would!

She said that there are many feral chickens on the Islands as there are not really any predators there to hunt them.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] You're right! But hey, I get excited when I see chickens on TV... or in a movie... or in a neighbor's yard... or anywhere!

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I did! We went last year after Thanksgiving and these are the ones I took!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    My sister and her family lived in HI for 3 years and they NEVER mentioned chickens to me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by