feral chickens help question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by welasharon, Aug 8, 2010.

1. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I recently got five chickens and have them penned up. A long time ago a lady in the neighborhood had chickens and they frequently were let loose. She is no longer there but there are feral chickens now that come and go. It upsets me because often roaming dogs will come through and kill hens and babies. A rooster with his hen and one chick have started coming around lately. Can I maybe build a coop to encourage them and eventually pen them up at night? They just don't last long on their own.
    sharon

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well, I don't see why not? I would start with a small bit of food, but if they have been handled and fed by people before, I think they will tame right down.

I think I would try and catch them first, before I put a lot of money into it.....however, if you do get something built, and you can't catch the ferral chickens, well then you have a real excuse to get some chickens. [​IMG]

Mrs.K

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If it were me, I would.

4. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    These are descendents of the lady's chickens from over 25 years ago. I can't get close and probably will not ever be able to pet them but I would like maybe to make life easier for them. And yes I have only had chickens for a month or so and already see the NEED for more....I know you people try to warn newbies but there is no hope...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by