feral chickens in the Bahamas!

broody rooster

Chirping
Jul 17, 2015
hello everyone i recently returned from a family cruise for my graduation from the Bahamas and loved taking pictures of the indigenous birds and wildlife but something i found strange is as i was walking around following a mockingbird i heard a crowing rooster and i followed the noise to the source and there he was! he was a beautiful black rooster with silver and white tail feathers! i couldn't get many pictures of him but ill post the ones i have soon. i heard at least 3 roosters in the time i was there and also saw a believed to be a young pullet (hope im using right terminology if im not correct me please
hide.gif
) that was running around eating leftovers. i was curious about just feral populations as a whole after that and was curious about others experiences with them and if anyone has even gone as far as to tame a feral chicken and what its behavior was like compared to domestic or captive chickens.
big_smile.png

It's not surprising that you found feral chickens at Bahama. I went a bit wild while spending 2 weeks there a few years back. I thought of wandering off into the thickets and getting lost for a few years.
idunno.gif

i hear ya! it was beautiful and the wildlife i did see was rather friendly ....all but the seagulls leave your food for a second around them and you'll come back to a murder scene! i could be wrong though there probably are predators of some sort around the place i was at(half moon cay) that i just didn't notice but there were bananaquits, mockingbirds, a single unknown species of heron, tiny ground doves and the chickens are about all i saw which were surprisingly unafraid of anything really i didn't see any birds of prey either.

i hear ya! it was beautiful and the wildlife i did see was rather friendly ....all but the seagulls leave your food for a second around them and you'll come back to a murder scene! i could be wrong though there probably are predators of some sort around the place i was at(half moon cay) that i just didn't notice but there were bananaquits, mockingbirds, a single unknown species of heron, tiny ground doves and the chickens are about all i saw which were surprisingly unafraid of anything really i didn't see any birds of prey either.
The hubby and I went to Half Moon Cay on our 25th anniversary. We rented a cabana, and the cruise line furnishes them with fruit and other snacks. We were walking in the water and turned to see two of the black chickens eating our fruit tray! lol Fortunately, we'd already had some, but they weren't shy about helping themselves.

Back
Top Bottom