Feral Chickens, St. Croix Virgin Islands (pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Dec 8, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Here are a few pics I took while on vacation down there. It is near Puerto Rico, in the Carribean. East of Haiti and Jamaica.

Most are common game mixes, smallish, and lively and alert
    [​IMG]

Snagged this pic in town, on someone's front of their house. Love the flip flop in the pic! LOL
    [​IMG]

Took this pic because he was such a weird orange mottled color. What would you say is the color in his tail featers? Is that chocolate?
    [​IMG]

This is just a cool pic because the green in his tail and the green light reflected from the tree, and the green steps.
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    More! More!

I know you took more, show us! That green pic is fabulous...and I think you're onto something with that orange one- like a diluter is taking down a red or something. It's too weird to call- better ask Henk69.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    What neat looking birds!! And great pics! I especially love the last one.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing them!

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are great! I love city chickens, of course living where they're common usually means sunshine, sand, some wild brush and jungle nearby. I don't love heat and hot weather places, but on days like today, breaking ice and hauling water through 16-18 inches of snow, I might like to give it a try!

The colors of the chickens, and the colors of the backgrounds are fantastic! The turquoise steps and the pink wall! Great eye! Thanks very much for sharing. [​IMG]

7. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Gorgeous!! Thank you for posting the pictures, you have a wonderful eye for photography!

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree great pics - i almost want that last one framed - cool artwork/photo ! Neat little birds

9. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    My brother lives there. He said the island is overrun with chickens. There are no real chicken predators there so the population just keeps growing. My brother did say that the chicken population does go down a bit after a big storm that shuts down the island and people start to run low on food.

They are all over the city like New York rats. There are so many running wild there they have started trying to round them up and get rid of them, but there are so many it could take years to thin them out.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Soup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by