Feral Chickens with Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pyoungo, Apr 19, 2017.

1. pyoungo

pyoungo New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hi BYC folks,
    I have a dilemma here. The neighbor across the street has let a flock roam free-this is very common in New Mexico- and mostly they stay in my yard due to the tree they roost in. I now have 5 baby chicks, 7 or 8 weeks old in my spare room, and now another hen showed up with 9, now 6 babies. I took in the first batch because a dog ate the hen. I dog-proofed the yard, but my question is, do I let her alone?

I feed the flock chick mash and chicken mash, and give them water, but I am not wanting to maintain a coop. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I would not let a feral flock mingle with my birds for fear of disease infecting my birds. I would also worry that the feral crowd would beat up my domestics. Others may have different opinions but that's how I would do it. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

In re-reading your post I guess I am a little confused as is Spookwriter below. What is your intention with the chickens?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Question without an answer.

As I read it, you yourself have no chickens. Or real interest
    in having a flock. And that's fine.

The chickens belong to your neighbor? Don't know how it
    works in your area, but here, if you own an animal you are
    expected to keep it on your own land.

As in I can not force my neighbor to raise my goats.

So is what you're asking more of how to get rid of chickens?
    I'm not going to answer beyond that yet.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I am similarly perplexed.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pyoungo [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I too am perplexed. If I read it right, while you do not actually want chickens you are concerned about their welfare and are feeding them etc?

While I know that I would probably worry about the flock and feed them etc, if they are not contained, the number of feral chickens is just going to increase.

Do you have plans for the chicks in your spare room?

Just my five cents worth and opinion, but I think the neighbour should be forced to step up and take control of the situation he/she has created.

6. pyoungo

pyoungo New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    So, it is very common-unfortunately- in New Mexico to have chickens just wander around without an owner. I am out of city limits and my attempts to find their owner-I went door to door-failed.

They like my dog-free yard and roost in my pine tree pretty successfully-snow, rain, etc. I started to feed them and now they are having batches of chicks. I brought in the first batch, now 8 weeks and I found a home for these! Yay! Their mother hen was eaten.

I have another hen with 6 chicks and a lone rooster protecting her. I am reluctant to capture her-stress on her and the chicks plus I do not have any takers for them as of now.

So I could adopt her, but this is how she was raised-she was last year's feral chick.

So, disrupt her norm and capture her?
    Leave her out and feed her?

Thanks for the feedback, perhaps there is no good answer. Was hoping to find someone with similar situation.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Do others in your neighborhood have problems with the feral chickens?. I am thinking maybe you should report them to Animal control. So the people have to take responsibility for them or have them taken away & fined. I'm thinking this group will continue to grow unless all the roosters could be rounded up. I'm sure their bathroom habits will start to bother neighbors and the rooster crowing will just cap it off.

My sister lives in a senior complex in NM and hasn't reported any feral chickens, the road runners & coyotes would have finished them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by