Feral chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyho, Sep 5, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I thought I'd post some picks of the feral chickens of Grand Cayman Island. They are everywhere! Apparently a lot of people don't like them because of the early morning crowing and they scratch up yards and flower beds. I loved watching them them in their daily routine. It was very endearing to see them in parking lots, around businesses and on the side of the road. These birds must be very smart. Never saw any road kill chickens but I did see a few flat iguanas.

I assume they are no particular breed, just mixes. It was really hard to get pics of them. The roosters were quite striking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    wow that would be awesome to see, T/Y for posting the pics they are nice looking birds.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    That's awsome . I wished I lived some where chickens roamed wild .

I wander how they thrive so well and aren't all picked off . Is they no predators on the island ? No birds of prey ?

In Naples Florida my parents were furniture shopping and right around the furniture places were strip housings and there were chickens and ducks running every where . It was odd though becuase most if not all the birds that we seen were all black .

4. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    They don't really have any predators like 'coons or coyotes, not sure about birds of prey. Cayman is very orderly and I don't think they have a problem with loose dogs and cats that might bother the chickens. They somehow survived the big hurricane a few years ago and are very tolerant of heat and humidity. There are a variety of colors but they're all smallish. Notice that the 2nd picture is of a mama and babies. It's pretty funny to see them walking the city sidewalks.

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    There are some chickens that roam on a street close to me. All I can say is that who ever owns those birds must have the best neighbors ever!!! I could understand the people not wanting feral ones. Mine can tear up a flower bed in a blink of an eye!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by