feral chickens

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
I was taking my daughter to school the other day and noticed 3 chickens going into the woods. Since then I have seen them several other times when going to and from her school. Today I managed to get some photos of them. They seem to live in the woods near a bunch of houses in a suburban type area. I have no idea where they came from or if there are more, or how long they have been there.....

It seems to be two hens and a roo. I am just curious as to what breed they might be...

IMG_6345es.jpg

Last edited:
that's kinda crazy
we have a lot of wild turkeys roaming around here, its not unusual to see them out and about, but chickens? wow
ep.gif

Thanks everyone!

Unless someone more daring then I is seriously braking some rules (which is a possibility) then I don't think they are free range. I live on a military base, there are very tall fences with barbed wire on top all around (so they haven't come from off post recently). On post (where these chickens live) everyone lives in apartments, the ones next to where these guys stay are all town home style. We are only allowed 'regular' pets (cats, dogs, hamsters, fish) and can only have 2 non cage pets (so for instance my neighbors have 2 dogs, we have one dog and one cat). Of course those rules don't seem to be enforced as much as they are on other posts.

I was thinking maybe someone got them as cute little Easter chicks and then released them when they got to that not cute stage. :shrug:

They have no respect for fences!
lol.png
They probably started out as yard chickens.... the grass is always greener.....

I have some silver leghorns that are agressive free rangers. They head to the woods and only come home to sleep.

The chickens don't care if it's a military base. And they don't care if they are allowed to be there or not. If they can get there, then there they will be! Smart chickens, and really pretty.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom