1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feral chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tash, Sep 16, 2010.

1. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    I was taking my daughter to school the other day and noticed 3 chickens going into the woods. Since then I have seen them several other times when going to and from her school. Today I managed to get some photos of them. They seem to live in the woods near a bunch of houses in a suburban type area. I have no idea where they came from or if there are more, or how long they have been there.....

It seems to be two hens and a roo. I am just curious as to what breed they might be...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Silver spangled Hamburgs? Not your usual feral chicken. Maybe they're just free ranging and not feral.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Maybe Silver Spangled Hamburgs? I'm not certain of that.

I hear they're quite flighty, so it's possible they escaped from their original home.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree Hamburgs. They sure are pretty.

5. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    that's kinda crazy
    we have a lot of wild turkeys roaming around here, its not unusual to see them out and about, but chickens? wow [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah- I bet they are just far-from-home free rangers. Some of my more flighty type birds go quite far during the day. Hamburgs are soo pretty!

7. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    Thanks everyone!

Unless someone more daring then I is seriously braking some rules (which is a possibility) then I don't think they are free range. I live on a military base, there are very tall fences with barbed wire on top all around (so they haven't come from off post recently). On post (where these chickens live) everyone lives in apartments, the ones next to where these guys stay are all town home style. We are only allowed 'regular' pets (cats, dogs, hamsters, fish) and can only have 2 non cage pets (so for instance my neighbors have 2 dogs, we have one dog and one cat). Of course those rules don't seem to be enforced as much as they are on other posts.

I was thinking maybe someone got them as cute little Easter chicks and then released them when they got to that not cute stage. :shrug:

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

They have no respect for fences! [​IMG] They probably started out as yard chickens.... the grass is always greener.....

I have some silver leghorns that are agressive free rangers. They head to the woods and only come home to sleep.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    The chickens don't care if it's a military base. And they don't care if they are allowed to be there or not. If they can get there, then there they will be! Smart chickens, and really pretty. [​IMG]

10. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Oh I like those spots! I might have to find me some of these!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by