feral drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by didak, Nov 2, 2011.

1. didak

didak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I still need help with my drake. He has gotten even worse, I cant go into his nightly pen now as he gets so aggresive so I just have to put the food and water outside but not locking him up at night makes me worry about foxes.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about whether a partner drake would calm him down. I know a lot of other people might just give up on him and put him down but he is my pet and I dont want to do that.

Any help will do.

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have three drakes and three hens. I separated the drakes as I was having trouble with mating and aggression. The drakes are in separate house. Still have some issues with one drake trying to bite when I try to get them out of the house, but by in large the behavior has been much better with the three drakes together than when I tried the one drake with females or the whole group together. They are like the three muskateers.....won't do anything without the others. It might help. (I can't make myself get rid of my drakes either....still correct the one when he bites and he does okay for couple of days then I am correctly him again).

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you need to lock him up for sure, take a big bucket and put it between him and you to keep him from atacking you, I have a walking cane that I use to herd mine in and to get them to go where I want them too. What has happened to him? did you have to separate him from the flock or something?

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Mine is mean too. Two days ago he flew at my head. I'm subscribing to watch for responses. I didn't consider getting another drake.. that's an interesting idea.

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have one mean one and one nice one. When he chases me I chase him back. Sometimes we just pick him up. He is a duck after all, not a dog. He does not have teeth. I guess I am just not afraid of him. He has no teeth or claws so what can he do to me but act tough, unless you have a muscovy. I would not show him I fear him. That makes them braver. Good Luck.

6. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:That's what we do. My 8 year old says, "Oooooo, Scary Ducky" and then kicks him away. He's showing off for the ladies.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Muscovy drake who is 5 months old will challenge me at times, I scoop him up in my arms and turn him on his back he usually just waddles off when i put him down, but at times i do have to back him up.

8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Show him that you are top duck. Put your hand on his back and flatten him out like he would do to the other ducks and make sure you have his head so he cant bite at you. Im sure a few time of that will help with him and also keeping a stick with you like suggested wouldnt be a bad idea either.

9. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    If I had a mean drake, I would let Mr. Fox take him home for supper.

I don't understand how people get SO upset about predators eating ducks and chickens when most of us do the same.

A new duck costs half as much as my lunch did today.

Survival of the fittest includes weeding out the mean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by