Feral Muscovy Eggs Wanted

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Omniskies, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Floridians and everyone else who has a huge problem with pesky feral muscovies - I would love to help reduce the numbers of pests down south by having the eggs and/or day-olds shipped up here [​IMG]

I really like muscovies but the caruncles can be a bit much. Feral muscovies don't have the big warty things bred into them and I'd really like to have some to incorporate into my flock. While driving down to Florida with a net sounds like fun, I'm in Missouri and no one will let me make a thousand-mile drive to catch a duck.

So if you have access to any muscovy eggs where the parents have very slight caruncles (even when older), or can get feral muscovy eggs, please let me know.

I don't know how legal this is. I know muscovies are considered pests in some areas of Florida, so I can't imagine anyone being upset that less of them will hatch out in the area. If you live in Florida you know the law more than I do.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Selena

Selena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] I just got the image of a car going down the highway with a big old fishing net sticking out of the sunroof. [​IMG]

Good luck on your... duck hunt. [​IMG]

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I know where about 6 ducks are. Where would I look for eggs? Would they be near the pond I saw them foraging at?

What are carbuncles?

4. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Goodness lots of wonderful Scovies around. I guess you get used to the red faces on the males. My lavender ones are so beautiful.

Guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

ML

5. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Loook around ponds, ferals are soo much of a problem that the humane society or watever will collect all of their eggs, and they lay TONS

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    The fact that they're such pests is why I'm hoping I can get people help me with this.

Around park ponds are your best bet.

Caruncles are those red warty things on the face. Wild/feral muscovies don't have them nearly as much as some of your domestic strains. For whatever reason, heavy caruncling was bred into domestic muscovies. A really extreme example of that can be found on Feather Site.

7. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I would love some feral muscovy eggs too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by