Ferment + heated bowl = results?

kuulgrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Central Michigan
Does anyone feed the fermented feed in a heated bowl for the winter? Does it work well?

I was just wondering before I went and spent money. Both the ferment and water freeze within an hour with the subzero temps we've had this week. I've been rotating bowls every couple hours to keep up, but I have 2 kids and places to go with them.

Bump

Does anyone give fermented feed in the winter?

The food freezes faster than the water some days.

You can use a heated dog water dish and put the feed inside the dish. You can also cut off the sides of the heated bowl, (if the heating element is in the bottom of the bowl) and put the feed tub on top. I do this for my mash and my quart waterers.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the heat would dry out the ferment. Or if something so solid would be ok since the bowl is for water. I've never used one before and didn't want to purchase 2 if it wasn't going to work out.

I feed them twice all they can eat in 30 minutes twice a day and my hens gobble up their fermented feed so fast that it wouldn't ave time to freeze!

Some days they finish what I give for each serving, but other days they don't. Now that it's getting bitter cold again, they eat much faster.

They don't eat the same amout each day and I really don't want to waste even the 1/2 cup they sometimes leave. ;-) I'm slowly working out a system for them, but of course it's not easy to explain. My husband would be totally confused. LOL

So, it can get as low as -30 wind chill for the next 2 days, and even though all the posts about their chickens being fine, I'm still worrying about them. The coop is small (3 x 4 x 3.5), there's ventilation, hopefully not too drafty. I wish I had a garage I could put them in for the next 2 days. ;-)

So much for a heated bowl. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom