POLL: Ferment or Not Ferment...what do you do?

Do you ferment your chicken feed?

• Total voters

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So there are a lot of threads here on fermenting chicken feed. But thought it would be interesting to get a little more information gathered in a single thread.
So here's hoping yall participate and give details so we can make sure our babies are all fed the best they can be!

I recently ran across a post on social media regarding fermented feed with sourdough discard. I wasn't sure about it...read up on it and decided to try it.
There are lots of details you don't get unless ya talk through the "recipe and directions".

No one wants to put their precious babies in any danger or risk of illness!
So looking forward to hearing your thoughts and what you do!

If YES...what feed do you use?​
Do you use ACV to ferment?​
Do you use sourdough discard to ferment?​
How many days do you allow it to ferment?​
Do you also offer dry feed during day?​

If YES...what feed do you use?
I use Nutrena Naturewise All Flock​
Do you use ACV to ferment?
No​
Do you use sourdough discard to ferment?
Yes...just started​
How many days do you allow it to ferment?
I let sit out with discard for about 24 hrs before feeding to my babies.​
Do you also offer dry feed during day?
I am for now til I see how they like the fermented feed.​

I have really dumbed this down.... When I have a big pile of "feed dust," I add water to it in a rubber feed tray and put directly out for chickens to eat. They love and devour it so it's a no feed waste process. It doesn't have to be "dust," they just do prefer feed watered down. Is that fermenting? Probably not but why go to the hassle of waiting a few days when they want it now..... Also, sorry but I don't consider my chickens precious babies, and I don't see how fermented, watered down or whatever can lead to illness, I don't get that part - ? Anyhoo, that's my 2cents.

I have really dumbed this down.... When I have a big pile of "feed dust," I add water to it in a rubber feed tray and put directly out for chickens to eat. They love and devour it so it's a no feed waste process. It doesn't have to be "dust," they just do prefer feed watered down. Is that fermenting? Probably not but why go to the hassle of waiting a few days when they want it now..... Also, sorry but I don't consider my chickens precious babies, and I don't see how fermented, watered down or whatever can lead to illness, I don't get that part - ? Anyhoo, that's my 2cents.
Thank you for your input and vote!
Everybody has chickens for different reasons and nothing wrong with that at all!
That's why I posted this to get others view points.

If YES...what feed do you use? Scratch & Peck Grower (Starter, if we have chicks)

Do you use ACV to ferment? No

Do you use sourdough discard to ferment? No

How many days do you allow it to ferment? I start feeding at 24 hrs, up to 4-5 days (depending on how big the batch is)

Do you also offer dry feed during day? Yes

If YES...what feed do you use? Scratch & Peck Grower (Starter, if we have chicks)

Do you use ACV to ferment? No

Do you use sourdough discard to ferment? No

How many days do you allow it to ferment? I start feeding at 24 hrs, up to 4-5 days (depending on how big the batch is)

Do you also offer dry feed during day? Yes
Thank you!
So you just cover the feed with water and let ferment?

Back
Top Bottom