Fermented chicken feed

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Can someone teach be any tips and tricks and the basics to it. I have been researching on it for a couple days now. It almost sounds too good to be true, does it really cut your feed bill in half? Also, can I ferment feed in a 5 gallon bucket? If so, how long does it stay fresh? I only own bantams.

EDIT: Can you ferment any type of chicken feed? I give my chickens Purina Flock Raiser and let them free range and get bugs and such.

It's very simple ... How many bantams?
Yes, you can use any type of feed but when using scratch or grains, the method is same although the supplies differ.

I feed FR crumbles/pellets as they both are easy to ferment. To start of with, depending on how many chickens (only bantams?) you have, 5 gal bucket maybe much but doable. When fermenting plastic or glass container, wood or plastic utensils and plastic, ceramic or glass feeding dish ... NO METAL as it has a chemical reaction with the fermenting.

Start with a plastic container, remember dry feed expands so make sure your container is large enough. Then you add water (ratio 1:1) mixing about 3x - 4x a day, you may want to cover the top with a mesh so it can breathe yet keep the bugs out (taffeta is what I use). You want a oatmeal consistency, too wet makes a mess, so add more water a little at a time & continue mixing for about 3 days. You'll see it bubbling and the smell of sourdough (yummy). Since you're in AZ it should go pretty fast (heat) ... I keep mine in the house to start, moving it outside to the patio secured from rats & stuff.

Feed a scoop at a time, refilling as needed. You'll get the feel of how much they eat per serving, I feed adults 2 x day, chickens don't eat at night. Everyday you use, replenish by just adding feed/water/mix. Don't know how long it stays "fresh" as you shouldn't run out as you add as you need, it also keeps the fermenting going.

You'll notice a difference in their pooping (less & less stink except the cecal still stinks) their feather shine & they absorb more the nutrients better. There's several article on the benefits but these are my favorites. The dust at the bottom of the bag, use it up, nothing goes to waste.

No you'll not save 50% on your feed bill. You might save a little, mostly due to reducing waste.

For only 2 bantams, 5 gallons is way too much. You should only make what they can eat in about 3-5 days. For a flock of 10 standard birds I use either a 1 or 2 gallon glass jar.

No you do not need a lid - if I have bugs (like in summer) I just drape a towel over the jar. If you do use a lid, just rest it loosely on top. NEVER screw down the lid tightly as CO2 building up inside the jar can cause it to explode.

No you shouldn't refrigerate it most of the time. Fermented feed needs about 70F or more to get going. However the hotter it gets the faster the process, so if it gets very hot you may need to refrigerate to slow it down. When it gets hotter I do sometimes have issues with mold, so I make much smaller batches and use it up faster.

someone help its expanding like an alien there are air bubbles literally everywhere its at least more than 60% of its original size is that supposed to happen also new update water everywhere
Normal, it can expand quite a lot, so never fill your jar/container to the top. I'd say feed up to about halfway line is plenty because you have to account for water as well as the bubbling.

I have 30-40 birds. Do you think filling a 5 gallon bucket up halfway would be sufficient? I use layer pellets but also typically add steamed rolled oats, black oil sunflower seeds, and scratch in my daily feed. Is it OK to add these to the fermented bucket as well?

If you're meaning filling half of a 5 gallon with feed, then adding water ... I can "see" the feed overflowing the rim. I have only 3 hens & make 1.5 cup of feed a day & there's enough left to continue to the next.

Start off with about 1/3 feed in the 5 gallon bucket & add your water, mix & set to see how much it rises in that bucket, go from there. I'm thinking a 5 gallon bucket daily may be ok, start off with 1 and maybe 2, use one while the other sets. It's ok to add those items to the mix, some ferment grain using one 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled, set in another.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've been watching some videos on it too... I think my biggest dilemma is figuring out HOW to feed them fermented feed. As I mentioned, I have 30-40 chickens who share access to their large runs with 2 goats and 4 ducks. Currently I feed the goats first then I toss & scatter the chicken feed all around the run. This scattering helps keep the goats from hogging all the chicken feed but it also allows the chickens to "free range" their food. It doesn't seem logical that I could do that with fermented feed.... So I'd have to get enough trough feeders so everyone can eat but also somehow keep the goats out of them... That's going to take some hard thinking

Back
Top Bottom