Fermented feed issue?

australorpia

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
I started fermented about 2-3 weeks ago and I use Scratch and Peck. Since it has been cold here in IL, I drain the liquid and throw it in the ground for them to eat. I also feed them Scratch and Peck BSF. Recently out of 8 eggs, only one had a deep orange color. Production is good at 8-10 eggs a day from the 12 hens. Are they picking and choosing the grain and making them deficient in something? I also started giving them Microna 6x10 grit calcium carbonate, a replacement for grit and oyster shell. I'm not giving them greens yet, as most vegetation is dead at this time. I would give wheatgrass but that hasnt been consistent. Should I supplement?

If you like deep orangey-red yolks you can try spirulina, though I'm not sure how much it would cost. I've seen people use it in studies at 1-3% of feed to reach that yolk color.

If you like deep orangey-red yolks you can try spirulina, though I'm not sure how much it would cost. I've seen people use it in studies at 1-3% of feed to reach that yolk color.
I’ve changed brands of chicken feed, all my hens lay that deep orange yolks, I use Purina layer pellets, I noticed a difference immediately
I read an article that said the feed ingredient determine the yolk color.

Hello hello. I ignored the yolk colour could be changed that much haha. Probably with pumpkin it gets more orange as well. Also, does I'm wondering if it's worth it to drain the fermented feed (as usually submerged by water during fermentation process), or is it better to make fermented feed with only the 3/4 of it subgmerged and the rest really wet ? Fermentation still happens on the wet part, but since the pellet floats it doesn't stay submerged no matter the quantity of water. And the chickens don't eat the feed when too liquid. I'm worried I may loose too much vitamins, and probiotics and all that in the fermented feed's brine when I drain it.

Hello hello. I ignored the yolk colour could be changed that much haha. Probably with pumpkin it gets more orange as well. Also, does I'm wondering if it's worth it to drain the fermented feed (as usually submerged by water during fermentation process), or is it better to make fermented feed with only the 3/4 of it subgmerged and the rest really wet ? Fermentation still happens on the wet part, but since the pellet floats it doesn't stay submerged no matter the quantity of water. And the chickens don't eat the feed when too liquid. I'm worried I may loose too much vitamins, and probiotics and all that in the fermented feed's brine when I drain it.
There are lots of resources on fermenting; this is one of the better ones IMO, and it includes consideration of the relative benefits of fermenting concentrates (pellets) and whole grains:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405654518300581
'Recent advances in fermented feeds towards improved broiler chicken performance, gastrointestinal tract microecology and immune responses: A review' 2019

Back
Top Bottom