Fermented Feed Mason Jars

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bethel_Alaska, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:01 AM.

1. Bethel_Alaska

Bethel_Alaska Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    Bethel Alaska
    Hey there quick question just wondering when folks change containers for FF I use the 3 jar method and am curious as to when and how to go about cleaning switching containers or do you ever??

Thank you in advance also one more question about feeding we currently have moved our 7 6week olds & 3 4weeks olds out to the coop when should we stop putting food available in the coop and keep it just the run??

Darn it one more thing we are in Bethel Alaska so it does really get dark here the sunsets at 12:17 am and rises at 5:13 am right now we have been putting them inside when it does start getting dark will they know when it’s timw to go in??

Thank you so much in advance for all the help and info I so greatly appreciate your time

trumpeting_angel and Trimurtisan like this.
  2. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    I wash out a jar whenever it seems to need it; I pour the last contents into a clean container before refreshing that with more feed and water, and put the funky jar in the wash. And periodically when I have a little natural yogurt to spare I start a fresh batch in a clean jar and dump the last of the most mature I have on the go at the time.
    I would stop putting food in the coop now.
    Your chickens know when it's time to go in - the sun is their clock :cool:

3. Bethel_Alaska

Bethel_Alaska Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    Bethel Alaska
    Perfect thank you soooo much

Perris likes this.
  4. Bethel_Alaska

Bethel_Alaska Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    Bethel Alaska
    Have you or do you know if it’s safe to give chickens Kefir milk?? I have not done so but was just wondering since it’s fermented as well kinda like yogurt.

5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    I haven't, and I don't know about kefir; I would guess it's OK but maybe ask as a separate question on this forum if a search doesn't provide the answer?

Bethel_Alaska likes this.
  6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    My thoughts exactly! I use two larger mason type jars, about 2 litre each. I wash them when they start getting funkier than a paper towel wipe out can fix :confused: Once your babies are in a routine the sun will get them to bed and they'll nap when they need to.

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    For getting your chickens to go to bed, I wonder if a light on a timer in the coop would indicate it was time for them to go in and roost. Light comes on, they go inside and roost. Light goes off one hour later. My coop has a timer that comes on at 5:30 and goes off at 8:30 - those hours are dark during the winter, so that is how I lengthen their daylight hours. They pretty much know when that light is going to go off and are all on the roost by 8:15. Even when it is still light outside.

Chickens don't like to enter a dark coop.

8. Bethel_Alaska

Bethel_Alaska Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    Bethel Alaska
    Thank you so much

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  9. Bethel_Alaska

Bethel_Alaska Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    Bethel Alaska
    Perfect will do thank you for the advice

10. Henriettamom919