Fermented feed vs. Pelletized feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mbcox, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Mbcox

Mbcox In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2018
    Fermented feed comments vs. Pelletized feed. Comments, please. Ours are great on fermented.

2. ngennetta

ngennetta Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Colorado
    We feed crumbles with fermented feed "treats". We aren't able to product enough fermented feed for 50+ chickens, but if we could we most definitely would! It's much better for the birds and they like it much more than their crumbles

abcn123s, RWBP, Mbcox and 3 others like this.
  3. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

SimplyLivinthatFarmLife Crowing

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    I've always wanted to try it. Actually my plan was to try it over my winter break, but the flu had me wiped out. I would love to hear more from others who use fermented feed.

RWBP, Mbcox and DobieLover like this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :thumbsup Love it .... It's easy & the benefits are great. I ferment Flock Raiser crumbles but have done pellet feed too, just takes a bit longer to break down.

abcn123s, RWBP, Mbcox and 1 other person like this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I do both - fermented feed in morning, pelleted during the day. They can eat what they like.

RWBP and DobieLover like this.
  6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    I ferment grain and have occasionally fermented pellets too. My birds prefer grain, as do I. And they thrive on it.

RWBP and DobieLover like this.
  7. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    The cost is the same per bag with crumble versus pellets. I believe it is easier and better to ferment crumble to make a wet fermented mash. I ferment only crumble or layer mash once laying.

RWBP, Mbcox and DobieLover like this.
  8. RWBP

RWBP Songster

Jan 3, 2019
    S. Appalachia
    My Coop
    I mix organic layer grind, organic layer pellets, and a bit of organic scratch, plus some added kelp, and feed this mix to my ladies, both dry and fermented.

Some days they run to the fermented food, some days they peck out the dry pellets, some days it's the dry grind, and yet others it's the dry scratch they crave.

Mbcox and DobieLover like this.
  9. RWBP

RWBP Songster

Jan 3, 2019
    S. Appalachia
    My Coop
    I've always wondered about draining the fermented food and just dumping the extra water down the drain... Maybe they're water soluble vitamins being wasted?

I collected the runoff from this mornings batch and put it in a container. After some investigating, the ladies started to gulp it down. I'm just gonna give them the water from straining the fermented feed everyday now!:cool:

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I don't have excess water to drain off, that's how thick I make it. This way it's as close to zero waste as possible. Any remaining feed/water at the bottom of my jar just gets mixed into the next batch.

JaeG and RWBP like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: