Fermented Food for layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksducks1, Mar 29, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    Hello everyone! I've looked into fermented food and it seems like people only seem to use it for meat birds, so I'm wondering if anyone uses any fermented feed for their layers? If so what kinds and for what reasons? What's your opinions of fermented food for layers? Thanks in advance!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
  3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    Thanks you guys I looked through everything for the most part. I'm now very confused basically. Everyone seems to have so many different ways of accomplishing it and different items they use. I guess I'm going to have to do research for a while on this one haha! If you guys have any tips or ways to simplify everything that would be wonderful thanks again for everything!

5. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    For the most part, everyone began by soaking their feed until fermentation (usually water + ACV + daily stirring) and keeping their feed an inch or so below the water level and scooping/draining the feed out. Through experience, it became evident that you didn't need such a sloppy mix and you could make FF with a paste like (pancake batter/oatmeal consistency) texture. This is the method I use, while some still keep their feed submerged. Either way is probably okay - I prefer the thicker method simply because it's less work - you basically just scoop it into the feed tray as opposed to having to deal with the mess of draining water off and such..

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This excellent article will answer all of your questions, as well as help you get started. https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

In the early days of fermenting feed, folks were keeping it submersed under a layer of water, then straining it to get the extra water out. We've since found that the extra water, and the extra steps of straining the feed are totally not necessary. I would say that most of us mix ours to the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal, using just water, and let it set till it starts to bubble. Then, all you need to do is hold back a bit for the next batch, just like a sour dough starter. You can kick start it by using just a bit of unpasteurized ACV (with the mother). But, that is totally unnecessary. It will pick up the beneficial bacteria and yeast from the air around it, just like the sour dough starters of the old timers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by