Fermented Food for Meaties???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nsampsel, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I've seen fermented food for meat birds mentioned several times now. What is it/How is it done?

2. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

Check this thread for all of the information you will need on it. Our resident expert is Beekissed.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Now that's just laughable, Shadow! [​IMG] I am a jack of all trades but really an expert on nothing...absolutely nothing at all. [​IMG] This is the first year I've tried fermented grains and that's the truth. I've given UP/ACV for some years now but never fermented feeds until now...so it's a learn as you go type of prospect, with reporting on the progress.

4. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

Then I guess we'll learn to be experts together. My 50# starter bag is running low, and it'll be time to move to the next level for my layers real soon. They're getting to be about 7 weeks old (on Monday, with one a week older at 8 weeks), and I'm going to have to go search for what my next step is going to be. Once I get the coop finished and get the layers in it, it'll be time to build the tractor for the broilers. Then I'll really be able to talk shop on this, once I get started on my own broilers.

5. Jeanette56

Jeanette56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    Nsampsel,
    The thread mentioned in the post below is a Great one and you will learn lots! I am raising some Guinea, Turkey & Peafowl chicks on FF right now and they are doing wonderful. With the heat the way it is in most of the country I worry much less about them staying hydrated since I am feeding them FF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by