fermented food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lsutigers1809, Mar 11, 2013.

1. lsutigers1809

lsutigers1809 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    Hi this is my first year with chickens i have 10 about 5 mo and 24 bout 2 weeks i notice lot of people talking aboutfeeding Chickens Fermented Food and was wondering ifthat is something l should be doing. Also if it is what kind of fermented Food and how do l Ferment the Food

2. Hatch N Eggs

Hatch N Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Johnston Co, NC
    My Coop
    It's really a matter of whether you would like to go that route or not. I personally do, with both my adult birds and my chicks. I feel that it's healthier for them. I have an adult flock of about 50 birds and a "juvenile flock" of about 40. I use a basic layer feed and mix it with cracked corn in the cold months, scratch grain in the warmer months. For my chicks I use chick feed instead of layer feed. Below is how I do my feed, but remember everyone has their own recipe. If you decide to go with it, good luck and have fun! I've also noticed my feed bill drop drastically from feeding FF rather than basic feeds, and there is virtually no waste at all.

What you will need:
    • 2 Large Containers
    • Water
    • Drill (or something to make drain holes)
    • Whole Garlic (3 cloves cleaned)
    • Layer feed
    • Scratch Grain or Cracked Corn
    • Apple Cider Vinegar with “Mother” (@1/2 cup)
    • Sunflower seeds (both regular and black oil) @1cup
    • DE (Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade) @1/4 cup
    • Flax Seed @1 cup
    • Millet seed ( I also use Wild Bird seed which can contain BO Sunflower seeds) @2cups
    • Pumpkin Seeds @1/2 cup
    • Molasses @1/2 cup
    • Oregano @ ¼ cup
    • Finely crushed egg shells @1/4 cup

Take one large container and drill drain holes in the bottom, place it inside the other container.
    Mix layer feed and scratch grain/cracked corn 50/50 until the container is about half full. (I use scratch in warmer months and cracked corn in colder months)
    Add other ingredients. **
    Cover with water*
    Stir 2x a day until mixture starts to bubble
    Once bubbling start feeding

** You can add or omit any ingredients you wish as long as it’s healthy for your birds
    *You may need to check the water level, because mixture will swell and suck up water, make sure mixture stays moist with a little excess water on top.
    Use drained water in bottom container to “Jump Start” your next batch of FF, usually takes about 2-3 days to Ferment.

Hope this helps!!
    [​IMG]

3. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Wow I'm going toprint this and put it on the fridge

Where do you keep the bucket inside or outside does it need a lid? How long does 1 batch last? Is there anything you can't put in it?

4. Hatch N Eggs

Hatch N Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Johnston Co, NC
    My Coop
    I keep my adult food out in my shed and my chick feed inside because they are inside, but I do know people who have kept the adult stuff inside as well. You can use a lid, I do on my chick feed, but not on my adult feed. My first batch lasted about 3 or 4 days, but you want to start at least 2 batches 2 days apart.That way when one batch is about gone you will not have to wait to feed FF again. Do some research and see what your flock can or can't eat, I wouldn't put anything too perishable in it like veggies unless it's just a small batch. I usually stick with herbs, spices, and natural dried things my flock can have. I also add some marigolds during summer months, but just about a fourth cup. They love it. You can also go online and search for recipes not only for FF, but for the "Flock Blocks" as well, you know the ones you pay $13 each for at TSC? You can make them at home much cheaper. Since I've been doing the FF method, my birds practically knock me over to get to the feed, they didn't do that with the regular dry stuff, lol.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by