1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fermented grains

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TinaSwarr, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    I read here somewhere about feeding meat birds fermented grains, the poster said he did this in 5 gallon buckets, but now I can not find it again....can someone tell me about this and how it works out....looking to raise my 50 rangers on something cost affective so I do not have to raise my prices for customers, (they do have a small pasture area about 20x20)

2. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    I also would like some more info.

I did a quick google search and found a site talking about feeding fermented grains to pigs... it sounded like they just covered them in water for a few days and waited. I couldn't find any mention of a starter culture.

I'd love to know what type of grain- just oats? A mix of something? I guess I'll swing by the feed store tomorrow and see what they have. I guess I could do corn and oats mixed, it just seems lacking nutritionally to feed as a mainstay diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by