Fermenting Nutrena Layer Crunmbles! ...

Edenn_Jade

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2019
Aloha!

Writing from the Big Island of Hawaii.

I have been considering switching from Nutrena to Scratch & Peck.

The issue is, no one carries Scratch & Peck in Hawaii. In order to get Scratch & Peck to the Big Island, I would have to create a wholesale account with them, order a ton at a time and pay barge shipping to get it over. The only way I can afford to feed Scratch & Peck Feeds is by fermenting it.

So, before I made the commitment and dished out the cash, I thought I should experiment with fermenting feed first.

For the last two weeks I have been fermenting Nutrena Layer Crumbles -- this is my hens normal feed, just fermented. I used to feed them free choice, as much as they wanted, all day every day and had a huge pay back in eggs.

When I started fermenting their Nutrena Layer Crumbles and feeding them 1/3 LB EACH, they essentially stopped laying.

I have given this two weeks, thinking they just need time to adjust to fermented feed.

I have upped their fermented feed amount to over 1/3 LB EACH.

They gobble the fermented feed up fast -- but they aren't laying. Their production is about a 1/4 of what it used to be.

With this being said, I am now re-considering switching to Scratch & Peck Feeds and am on the verge of going back to our old ways, BC it worked for us.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this when switching over to fermented feed?

I’m also interested in knowing if others have experienced a decline in egg production when feeding fermented feed. My chicks are still very young so they won’t be layin for a couple months but I had planned on switching them to NCO fermented feed. It’s similar to scratch and peck but slightly cheaper.

I’m also interested in knowing if others have experienced a decline in egg production when feeding fermented feed. My chicks are still very young so they won’t be layin for a couple months but I had planned on switching them to NCO fermented feed. It’s similar to scratch and peck but slightly cheaper.

I have looked high and low and I can't find any information on a decrease in laying brought on by fermenting feed!

I hope some folks will get back to us.

It's really quite annoying -- makes me sad every time I go out and there aren't any eggs.

All I read about are the benefits! ...

I have fed fermented feed since my chicks arrived from the hatchery. My new batch is on fermented as well.
I keep food in their trough all day long. I've got it down to where there might be a small amount left in the trough at the end of the day that they munch on in the morning before I get out to tend to them.
I primarily feed my homemade mix. I add about 30% by wt 20% All Flock type feed to the mix. It all gets fermented together.
I have 10 laying hens and get 8 to 10 eggs a day. I recently had 5 days in a row with 10 eggs each day.
This is my homemade mix and how I ferment it:
"I mix my own feed. My protein sources are my most expensive ingredients by a long shot. I'll not cheap out and deprive them of what they need to thrive, not just survive."
How about if you share with us 'complete-newbie-don't-even-have-the-chickens-yet' people exactly *what* you put in the feed that you mix yourself? Inquiring minds really do want to know! :hugs

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I just stumbled upon an indirect quote of my post when catching up on this thread.
This is my current recipe for 50#:
17.5# triticale
8# whole field peas
7.5# BOSS
6# whole oats
3.5# whole flax seed
5# fish meal
2.5# Fertrell poultry nutri-balancer

There is an organic grains supplier about 1.5 hours away in the Finger Lakes region that I get most of my supplies from. I won't stock more than a 4 month supply at a time of the FM and PNB.
I store everything in an old apartment sized refrigerator that I gutted so it makes a great air tight grain bin.
The mix is kept in my pantry where I also keep the fermenting cans.
This is what it looks like before fermenting:
View attachment 1656491
This is after 2 days fermenting:
View attachment 1656495
After 3 days, I drain the days batch into an empty can like this:
View attachment 1656507
I keep the drained off liquid:
View attachment 1656508
Then add the dry mix and more cold well water and mix. I also mix the other cans at this time and add more water if they need it.

I feed in this trough I made:
View attachment 1656510

It takes less than 5 minutes a day to do this.

Including gas money for the drive out and back, 50# costs me about $31.

I feed 0.18#/bird in winter which is the highest volume. It's less in the summer.

When it's so bitter cold that the feed will freeze I put out a pan of 20% chick crumbles to make sure they have food when I can't refresh the trough.
I also toss the chick crumbles as their scratch. They love it.

I have fed fermented feed since my chicks arrived from the hatchery. My new batch is on fermented as well.
I keep food in their trough all day long. I've got it down to where there might be a small amount left in the trough at the end of the day that they munch on in the morning before I get out to tend to them.
I primarily feed my homemade mix. I add about 30% by wt 20% All Flock type feed to the mix. It all gets fermented together.
I have 10 laying hens and get 8 to 10 eggs a day. I recently had 5 days in a row with 10 eggs each day.

Thank you for this information -- I think the problem may be that they're not getting enough to eat, BC they eat their bowl SO fast. Like, it's gone in about 20-30 minutes. I have been following this 1/3 LB feed per bird thing that I keep seeing, but, maybe that's just not enough! Maybe it's 1/3 LB dry feed, but fermented. Rather than 1/3 LB fermented. Does that make sense?

Maybe it's 1/3 LB dry feed, but fermented. Rather than 1/3 LB fermented. Does that make sense?
Yes, it's dry feed weight.
Each of my Barred Rocks and Golden Comets consume an average a 1/4 pound of dry feed a day. 2.5 pounds a day for 10 Chickens.
They have access to dry feed and water in the coops 24/7. 20181211_050757.jpg .
So a 1/4 to a 1/3 pound each of dry feed a day for full size Chickens.
I give my 10 girls 2/3 of a cup of Scratch Grains daily, so they would eat closer to a 1/3 of a pound of feed each if I didn't give them Scratch.
So the reduced egg production is because of the lack of feed, nutrients they need.
So weigh the feed before adding water. GC

Last edited:
Any reason you want to make this feed switch? Sounds like it was working nicely before.

If you can't keep refilling fermented feed all day, then try what I do: ferment in the morning, with dry feed available all day.

Hey!

We are thinking of going this same route as well.

I want them to get the benefit of fermenting feed -- but, I want to make sure they have enough feed.

We are trying this method with our Black Copper Marans now -- since they seem to eat more.

As for switching from Nutrena to Scratch & Peck -- I'd like to try switching foods BC Scratch & Peck is a higher quality feed.

Do any of you feed Scratch & Peck?

Yes, it's dry feed weight.
Each of my Barred Rocks and Golden Comets consume an average a 1/4 pound of dry feed a day. 2.5 pounds a day for 10 Chickens.
They have access to dry feed and water in the coops 24/7. View attachment 1755135.
So a 1/4 to a 1/3 pound each of dry feed a day for full size Chickens.
I give my 10 girls 2/3 of a cup of Scratch Grains daily, so they would eat closer to a 1/3 of a pound of feed each if I didn't give them Scratch.
So the reduced egg production is because of the lack of feed, nutrients they need.
So weigh the feed before adding water. GC

Hey!

Thank you so much for this.

I really appreciate everyone input.<3

Back
Top Bottom