1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fermenting question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by odysseychicken, Oct 30, 2015.

1. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    I have been researching organic feeds that I can buy locally. I am hoping to offer the girls free access to it dry and feed them fermented a few times a week. There are not many organic feeds available locally and the ones that are available have yeast as an ingredient. I have read that you should not add yeast when fermenting feed. So, are feeds with yeasts in them not suitable for fermenting?

In case anyone is wondering, the brands are:

Green Mountain
    and
    Central Connecticut Co-op

Thanks

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It could still be fermented, the yeast won't hurt anything. Why would you only want to feed FF a couple of times a week?

3. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Well, it may be more than a couple times a week. I want them to also be used to eating it dry because there are time that I will be out of town for a few days. They will only have access to dry at those times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by