Fermenting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nisebug71, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nisebug71

Nisebug71 Hatching

Jan 4, 2019
    i have 4 LF chickens and approximately 20 bantams (serama, silkies, and Cochins). And I want to start fermenting feed. Can anyone give me an estimate of the size of containers I would need to ferment fee for that size flock? I started with 3 very small Rubbermaid containers a little larger than sandwich size. And would love some recommendations on recommended containers. TIA.

DobieLover likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! I ferment the feed for 10 LF hens. I use about 3 cups dry feed a day, to which I add 2 cup water. I only ferment enuf for the next day. I don't like it to get too sharp. My container is a half gallon ice cream box.

3. Nisebug71

Nisebug71 Hatching

Jan 4, 2019
    Thank you. Do your containers have air vents or holes? And do you prep several days in advance? I started with 3 of the sandwich size containers when I first started. Also, do you keep it inside?

DobieLover likes this.
  4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I just make it the night before. I don't put a lid on it. I keep it in the kitchen. This may not be the 'right' way to do it, but when I made a big bucket of it, it got too fermented after a while and the chickens didn't like it any more. I'm no expert, it's just how it has evolved for me... Hopefully others will chime in.

Nisebug71 and DobieLover like this.
  5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I have been fermenting my homemade feed since day one. I have a flock of 11 full size chickens. I use four 51 oz size old Folgers coffee cans. I stabbed a bunch of slits in the lids for venting.
    I ferment for 3 days (mixing daily), drain and save the effluent to use for the next batch. I strain my feed because it is made from whole grains/seeds and although it absorbs a lot of water, it will not absorb all of it.
    I ferment in my kitchen pantry.
    These containers are large enough to be able to ferment enough for feed for about 20 - 22 birds at the rates I feed in the winter. Summer is less due to available forage.

SueT likes this.
  6. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    You really only need one container. Feed our the majority then just add more feed and water and within 8-24 hours (depending on the temperature) it will be ready to go again. I just loosely place the lid on top and that seems to work. It does take awhile to figure out how much you need to make for your birds and it depends on what feed you are using too (grains, pellets, crumble) as they all measure out a little differently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: