Ferndale Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WoodwardRooster, Oct 29, 2010.

1. WoodwardRooster

WoodwardRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Hello All,
    I've been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I live in the heart of downtown Ferndale, in Metro Detroit, and am working on having the ultimate urban farm.

It all started when I bought my house this past spring... While touring the property with the previous owner, he stated that the small shed in the side yard used to house chickens; he had them, the previous owner did, and probably every owner back to 1920 did (the shed looked really old.) I hate to say it but that kind of sealed the deal with me buying the house. I have always enjoyed having chickens and other animals as a kid; I was in 4-H and had an egg buisness growing up, and also raised and showed goats & sheep & all types of poultry. I have probably raised over a thousand chicks.

After college I moved to the city and lived in an uppity loft for a few years, but always longed for animals. So, a month after closing, I was placing an order for initally 15 chicks, but ended up turning into 40 (the "oh those are cute" was a huge factor." I ordered from Ideal hatchery blue & buff Polish, Silkies and Faverolles. The post office was seemed very confused when they called to tell me that there is a box full of chicks with my name on it. That was May 25th , and since then the roosters have found new homes, and I have been left with 21 girls who are just starting to lay. The polish were the first to lay, at 19 weeks (I was very suprised) and the rest of them (faverolles) are just starting now. Two weeks ago someone left a pair of Dutch Bantams at my back door with a note saying that they heard I had chickens, they don't have a place to keep them this winter, etc. and if i could keep them; total baby on the doorstep scenerio. They are in quarantine in the garage right now for a while.

I have heard that there are others in Ferndale that have chickens and am interested in connecting to make chickens totally legal (the ordinance & zoning seems a little "iffy".) Anyway I am happy to be a part of this group and am willing to share any expertise I may have.

Justin

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Hi Justin! [​IMG] [​IMG] from the Thumb! [​IMG]

3. WoodwardRooster

WoodwardRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I've seen your website, you have beautiful birds.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. You have come to the right place. So nice of you to take in strays. [​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome, from Eastern Wa. I wish someone leave chickens on my doorstep.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  8. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome from Minnesota, and I wish you luck with your city.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG] fellow Michiganiac!

10. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by