Fernley Nevada thread

vicki017

Chirping
Mar 12, 2016
Just decided to look around and noticed the most recent posts about Fernley are last year. Anyone out there still in Fernley?

Hi Vicki,
How many chickens do have and what breeds?
Jessica

I have 6, two are Rhode Island reds, two are Easter Eggers, one is barred rock, and the one is possible white Plymouth Rock (last 2 were from assorted bin)
They are now 7 weeks old

How about you?

You got yours 3 weeks before we got ours! We started with 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Aracaunas (Easter Eggers I'm sure), 2 Welsummers, and 1 white rock from the assorted bin. Then my husband went to big R unsupervised and picked up one more Aracauna/Easter Egger and two black chicks. They told him they were Austrlorps but I don't think they are. I think they are black sex links. So we have 11 total. Have you had chickens before? This is our first time.

You got yours 3 weeks before we got ours! We started with 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Aracaunas (Easter Eggers I'm sure), 2 Welsummers, and 1 white rock from the assorted bin. Then my husband went to big R unsupervised and picked up one more Aracauna/Easter Egger and two black chicks. They told him they were Austrlorps but I don't think they are. I think they are black sex links. So we have 11 total. Have you had chickens before? This is our first time.

Yeah the aracuanas are Easter Eggers and very beautiful one of mine is pure white and the other is gray, black, and orange around her neck. She's also getting bluish feathers.

I got a pure black with one white spot on its head from assorted which was my barred rock, I was originally going to get 2 leghorns rather than 2 Rhode Island reds but they ran out

Edit: forgot to add it's my first time too!

Last edited:
I have heard much better things about Rhode Island Reds than Leghorns. My sister has RIRs. I think you will be very happy with them! All of my Easter Eggers look different too! Two are similar kind of grayish in color but still very different. One is cream colored and the youngest is black. When I got my white rock from the assorted bin I was initially disappointed that's what she became. But I love her now! She is one of my top favorites. She is really good natured.

I have heard much better things about Rhode Island Reds than Leghorns. My sister has RIRs. I think you will be very happy with them! All of my Easter Eggers look different too! Two are similar kind of grayish in color but still very different. One is cream colored and the youngest is black. When I got my white rock from the assorted bin I was initially disappointed that's what she became. But I love her now! She is one of my top favorites. She is really good natured.

The funny thing about my white rock is I've been thinking its a he for a week or 2 now! However the comb hasn't progressed since the base turned red so I'm thinking its female and my other chicks are getting red in their combs by now too

My white rock is 3 weeks old now and has no red in her comb at all. They have really red combs when they get bigger so maybe that's what is happening. Dp you have a picture of her I could see? I'm curious how mine will look when its as old as yours! I have a Welsummer that I am really thinking is a rooster. I am hoping not, but I will keep it if it doesn't bother my neighbors. We live on 2 acres, but the coop is on the edge of one side, some what close to a neighbor. We have roosters in the neighborhood but they are probably 4 or more acres away and we don't hear them too much. A Welsummer rooster is gorgeous so we will see how it goes! still hoping for a hen though!!!

Back
Top Bottom