Ferns- Attention MissPrissy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tazcat70, May 16, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ok, last spring/summer I purchased 3 ferns. You helped me to keep them alive and then told me when to put them in the basement to let them hibernate for winter. I watered once in a while but they turned brown, not knowing ferns I thought that this is what they were supposed to do. Well last month I pulled them out to let them get some sun, and to green up......Nope...this is what they look like.

[​IMG]

2. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I don't know waht kind of ferns those are, but ferns do die back in winter and return in the summer. They require very humus rich, slightly acidic, constantly moist soil in partial or full shade. If they get dry, they will die.

3. tazcat70

Do they die back this much?

ETA: I think I will have to buy some more this year and try again.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Mine die back to the ground. The plant pictured does not even look like a fern. Do you know the type it is?

5. tazcat70

Not a clue...Lowes had them on sale last year for $3 ea.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Is it an asperagus fern? I've never had any luck overwintering them.

7. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Pull it out of the pot and see if you spot any green. If the roots seem to be decaying and falling apart throw it out. If you just brought it out then give it a month or so to emerge. Cut the dead stuff back. Keep it moist and put it in the shade. A bit of fertilizer won't hurt either.

8. tazcat70

It seems that they were Boston Fern Hybrids. I pulled them out of the pots, and looked at the roots...nothing that looked alive. [​IMG]

I guess it is time to buy new ones....

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did they go completely bone dry? They have to stay a bit moist. I am afraid they may be totally lost if they are dry through to the center. Ferns reproduce by spores. You can try to soak them down and see if anything tries to reproduce.

10. tazcat70

They must have gone dry.... They have been sitting outside for about a month and nothing. We have had quite a bit of rain, and so I doubt anything is going to sprout. But I did throw them on the compost bin, so maybe.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by