1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ferral Hogs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hogdogs87, Feb 5, 2015.

1. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    My screen name probably gives it away but i hunt ferral hogs. I was just wandering if any of y'all have problems with them on your property. Here in georgia they are a major problem.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Around 2011/12 there was a relatively small populati9on in South Jersey. The state opened season on them concurrent with the deer seasons and for the most part I think the pigs have been eradicated.

3. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Well that is a good thing for land owners. I know the farmers in my state surw wish they would disappear.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    There are a lot of feral hogs out here in Hawaii as well.

5. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    I know thats right oshay.people would never think of Hawaii having them but there actually a pretty serious problem there.

6. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Yikes! I'm in AR and I have heard of them but never encountered one... from what I hear they are mean and will even go after people!

7. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    MOST of the time they will go in the other direction at the slightest second that sonething isnt right. But yes a sow with piglets or an aggressive boar can and will become a real problem real fast.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I was born in Hot Springs, AR, and my grandfather and I used to hunt razorbacks. As hotdogs87 said, normally they will run away, but when they feel cornered or threatened or are wounded, they become very dangerous.

9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I'll give any a wide birth! Pigs jaws are so powerful that I don't want to mess with one that is feral!

10. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I understand that wild pig meat is sweeter and more lean than what is commercially raised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by