Ferret lovers?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nats Chickens, Dec 17, 2018.

Is a ferret a good pet?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2019.
  1. Yes.

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I don't have a ferret yet, but I am in love with the idea of getting a male ferret. I have calculated the costs, and come to the conclusion that here in Australia, it would cost me $330 dollars [on average] to get the ferret, his cage, castrate him etc...And $100 dollars per year [on average] to vaccinate him against canine distemper and feed him. So far I have saved about 1/3 of the money, so it is a while away!
    Does anyone on here have a ferret? Do they have any advice on owning ferrets? I am reading up on them and deciding if this is the right pet for me. What are your experiences with owning these animals?

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Free Ranging

Nov 2, 2018
    Don’t get a ferret. All hell would break loose if it got out, it would kill your chickens and your guinea piga

ShannonR and Nats Chickens like this.
  3. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Songster

Oct 27, 2016
    canada
    saw some people using ferrets for rabbit hunting on the internet awhile ago, looked fun but the rabbits there live under ground (where here in north america they live above ground) i guess if you wanted to look into that.

to me i don't like them been attack by one as a kid at a pet store and they remind me of weasels and mink (which i trap)

4. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    Okay, take this from a person who's been studying ferrets for a year :)
    Ferrets will make good PETS, meaning they are great little creatures filled with personality and they will snuggle with you! They can be compared to dogs and cats. They are NOT meant to be kept in a cage 24/7 like a hamster or a guinea pig, they just need a place to sleep.

However, they release a STRONG odor that many ferret parents call "the ferret smell" and you can't get rid of it. It'll soon get all over the place. They will attack your other animals like chickens if brought outside but should be kept as indoor pets. Also, if you want to get one ferret you need at least one more, because they are social animals. Ferrets will CHEW EVERYTHING. Break cords, ruin furniture, all that FUN stuff.
    They live for a long time, and I suggest you do a LOT of research before getting them!
    Good luck!!

ShannonR and Nats Chickens like this.
  5. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    I just wanted to add, even though I said all the stuff about odors and breaking things, your days will not be boring without one!

Nats Chickens likes this.
  6. I had 2 ferrets for 8 years. I loved them. Mine never bit, they played with the cats and dogs. They were good. My cousin had one as well who was kind of a turd but was good overall lol. He would drive around with his loose in the car and take it to everyones house, she was never ever caged. everyone loved her (Carol) she got loose once and survived 3 days out in the wild, it was raining when she walked up to the front porch to be let in.

I never had to go to the vet for the ferrets, they never got a shot.

baby flu2.jpg
    baby flu.jpg

7. hhouck514

hhouck514 In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2018
    OR
    I love my ferret very much. He smells very bad, but it's worth it.

8. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Thanks all of you!

AnimalGeek23 likes this.
  9. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I don't plan to let him free range the yard, and he would have a hard time getting into the guinea pig hutch, and, he would have to be out for about 2 hours to even have a chance of catching the superchooks we call pets! [They are nuts!]

10. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Also, I know if I did let him free-range, he'd do a runner.

AnimalGeek23 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: