Ferrets Anyone?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Megan Amber, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    So I had this crazy idea! I have always wanted a ferret but someone in my family doesnt like them. But he would be fine with it if it had a job. I was thinking, ferrets naturally hunt,what if it was trained to be a mouser!!! Let me now what you think.

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Ferrets are a TON of work and are very temperature sensitive (can't live outside in heat, in fact, 80 degrees or over can cause serious problems for them). Their excrement smells TERRIBLE and they make a lot of it, constantly. I don't think they would make good mousers, as they will just run away if left outside by themselves. They will also find a way out of the house or get injured if they are left alone inside.

3. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've owned four of them too, by the way!

4. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've owned four of them too, by the way!

5. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that I would keep him inside and train him to hunt with me outside at night. It could be a really stupid idea(I get a lot of those) so I thought it would be fun to post!

6. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I don't want to discourage you! They are certainly trainable to a degree (sadly, probably not for hunting), and they are a lot of fun. They're just very crafty at getting lose (even on their leashes). Without a leash, they will just run away.

7. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Thank You! That's great to know for whenever I get one!

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have had 3 ferrets. Terrible pets. I mean they are funny, but not really petlike...They look cool and make funny sounds, but they are so messy, and don't get along with most other animals...they tear up a lot of things if they can get to stuff...and they are so very very gross. I had one out of 3 that was friendly and petlike...but the smell was almost too much...and of course it was descented...but that doesn't do a whole lot. It's like if you fed guinea pigs poop and then they pooped out the poop and ate it again and then pooped it out once more. That is what ferrets smell like.

9. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Wow! That sounds pretty gross! Possibly rethinking my wish for a ferret! [​IMG]

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    And be sure to save up money for vet bills. Very common for them to have adrenal gland cancer and they are really good at getting out and then getting in to trouble once they are out. Why do they like to eat foam? Because they want to have surgery I guess! About as trainable as a cat in my estimation.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by