ferrets-HELP ME!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ohsnapitscharity, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ohsnapitscharity

ohsnapitscharity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    columbia
    where do you get some? i reall want some to add to my house that are between 6 and 16 weeks old. if you know somewhere near me that would be great. i live in columbia, sc. an hour or so drive is not a problem just please help me find where to get them

2. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Have you ever had ferrets before? They are like having a two year old running around your house ALL the time!!!!

I would try a rescue group in your area first.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Have you tried going to a pet store?

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Ferrets are what's worst about a cat and a dog and a rabbit... but are way supper cute- [​IMG]

Good luck with your hunt.

And remember is its not childprrof it is not ferret proof.

Also have lots of corner litter boxes if they are getting free time.

You can look up Marshals- they are the producers for most pet stores - its a mill thou-

Might be a WI rescue that's willing to meet you somewhere but they would only have adults.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i was a ferret rescuer.. had 13 at one time.. smelled like stinky socks.. lol.. make sure you really really want one.. they are the cutest things but not if you have smaller kids.. they love to bite and that is how they play.. roughly...they love to bite toes if your barefoot..and they do scoot to a corner to poop and it is stinky if you don't keep up on it..they are also better off when you have two..when it comes time to trim their nails put a small blotch of ferivite or something similar on their tummy and lay them on their back between your legs and they will be so busy licking the good stuff you can just snip snip and they don't even realize you have trimed the nails..good luck with your pet.. by the way. my first ferret was Rosie and she used to sleep with us in the bed.. she never bit but that was the only one who didn't.

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    try your local craigslist. I always see tons on mine!

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
  8. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Good luck finding your new pet! I had a pair of ferrets years ago. They were a lot of fun, but could be a real handful. They were just like having kittens who could open drawers and climb furniture and curtains... for 10 years. They never grew out of being hyper-active. And they like shiny stuff. They WILL climb your furniture and carry off your jewelry and keys and have a secret hiding place that they will stash all of their shiny treasure. Makes life interesting! (Just be sure to do plenty of research before buying. I was caught off guard by a lot of their quirks, but they were a fun pet to have.)

9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I hope that you find your ferrets. They are wonderful pets to have but everything that the above posters have said is true. Also, please know that even if they're "descented", they still have a powerfully, musky smell.

Suzy
    [​IMG]

10. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Ditto what everyone else has said and adding on with a warning. Put money back for medical bills. Most of them will need a surgery at least once in their life for adrenal. That surgery can cost anywhere from $300-$1000 depending on the vets. If they don't get treated for the disease they will die.

Also you can get alot of good information on ferrets at ferretvillage.org tell Aric Lynn sent you over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by