Ferrets- your opinion please???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 77horses, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK so I found this ad:

2 Ferrets(male and female).
    Both are fixed.
    Comes with cage.
    FREE to good home!

OK, so they are FREE with a cage???!! what an awesome deal! If we were to buy everything rather than take these, it would cost like...(2ferrets=$200...cage=about$20-$40...food=$10-$20) about $200-$300!!! So I tried to convince my dad because i think ferrets are sooo cute and fun, but he says:

1. ferrets are too stinky and are a handful
    2. we don't need any more pets
    3. the dogs would probably try and eat them(well at least our Dachshund mix, Riley, would) [​IMG]

Yes, he has some good excuses. But come on! $200-$300 compared to FREE???(with a cage!!)
    It sounds like a great deal to me.
    and they are close to us!
    So has anyone had ferrets before? we haven't and i need some honest opinions(good or bad) on them.
    Thanks!!!!

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Ferrets are awesome. I don't have any, but I still think they're awesome.

Are they really smelly if you clean them frequently? I mean, chickens are supposed to be "stinky" too, and our hens for some reason smell like flowers and laundry detergent. I'm not kidding, they smell cleaner than most people!

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:LOL. Yea my *almost* step-dad had a ferret and he says they pee a lot and are stinky. Well, baby chicks in the house are stinky, too! and we have some in my room! But my dad said that they are only there because they can't be outside in the cold. another excuse. [​IMG]

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    The cheapest ferret cage i could find when i had mine was $100

You have to clean there cage every day or they start to stink . Dont let them near other small and furry or feathered animals .

They are freindly and give kisses and like to snuggle . Were fine with my cats and dogs . They are fun and playfule . But they are alot of work i think

MIne got out and killed my chickens and guinea pigs and attacked one of my chinchillas

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get them.

Name the male, "Frank Burns".

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I sell ferrets at my job.
    I have to clean their habitat everyday.
    The real baby ones like to bite alot.
    You have to make darned sure that they can't get out and wreak havock because they can fit into the smallest places.
    They'll go after any of your small animals if they get out.

They can stink even though they're descented. They just smell like feet. LOL
    You'd definitely have to keep the dachshund away from them.
    It really IS a good deal for them with the cages.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ferrets are smelly. They have glands that produce an odor naturally. Bathing won't really help with this much.

They are very, very hyperactive and require daily exercise outside of their cages.

They will chew/shred/destroy whatever they get into.

They may come free, but they require special food, vet care, etc., which is not necessarily cheap.

Just some observations. Good luck with your search for a new pet! [​IMG]

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Yes they can be really neat. Some bite. Chickens don't hold a candle to them in the stink category. They use a litter box IF you put it where they decide to go. Yes, your dachsund will break your heart. because eventually, he will get them. They need a lot of attention. Besides, why do you think they are free? And they're giving you the cage to bribe you to take them. Doesn't that make you suspicious?
    PS They eat chickens for dinner.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Ferret=weasel.

They do smell bad, but can be box trained.

I wouldn't want one in the house.

I wouldn't want one outside either, because it would go after the chickens.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    well i just talked to dad. he doesn't want one and i'm starting to think the same. [​IMG] They require food that is pretty expensive. [​IMG] and it's dangerous for the chickens.
    oh well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by