Fertalizing grass?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklover16, Feb 1, 2012.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    my mom is fertalizing the grass in our backyard. how long after she fertalizes it do I have to wait before letting my chickens roam on the lawn again? thanks!

2. freshfish

freshfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    I am sorry I can not help with the fertilizer question but I would like to say that you have the most beautiful profile pic I have seen on this forum....

John

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've waited for a good soaking rain to wash it into the soil, or I turn on the sprinkler and wash it into the soil. I won't use granules that the chickens might eat; I try to stick to liquids since I got chickens.

Imp

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    aw, thanks [​IMG]

thanks. I think the fertalizer is granules [​IMG].

5. bowtie

bowtie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    They shouldn't be put at all if its a chemical fertilizer, use Organic, its better for the chickens and the soil/grass...

6. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    [​IMG] I agree with bowtie. I'm not an organic nut (no offense to our fellow chicken-loving brothers and sisters who are card carrying organic nuts), but I certainly would not want to eat a chicken or an egg that came from being pastured on fertilized grass.

7. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Why not just let the chickens fertilize the grass. The poop has lots of nitrogen! Make a compost pile with the coop mess and spead it on the yard every year.

8. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Not only will the girls fertilize the grass they mow it too!!Only had to mow 3 times last summer and I have never had such nice soft green grass in my back yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by