fertile and growing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepsthebrassy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    is air cell growth every day for the first 4 days mean that the chick is growing. with my observations the ones with nothing in them will still have air cell growth but not as frequently like one time in the four days. the ones with something have growth every day is my observations acuter it? does air cell growth frequently in the first four days mean that they are fertile and growing?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Air cell growth is due to moisture transpiration through the porous shell.
    If there is a significant growth in the air cell it could mean there's a crack in the egg.

3. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    the growth of the air cell only grows a little in the four days. like not even a quarter of an inch. to me it looks like normal growth. the eggs look like this one(not one of my eggs)
    [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The air cell will grow over time whether there's an embryo or not.

5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Four days is pretty early, but with a good light you should begin to see veins in the eggs, going up to the air cell, if they are fertile. The air cell will still be small. Best to wait a few more days when it's easier to see.

6. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    OK thank you kindly i well what till day 7 and i don't see any veining yet. if it is fertile will the air cell look like it is suppose to at day 7. i ask for if i cant see the chick growing(because if the shell is thick).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Yes, it is sometimes hard to see at four days, seven days is much easier with darker shells, and with really dark or thick shells I sometimes have to wait until day 10 to be sure that something is growing.

The air cell won't show that the embryo is growing, but the air cell should grow evenly during incubation until it takes up almost 1/3 of the egg at lockdown. This makes sure the chick has air to breathe and room to hatch.

8. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    but if there is not some thing in it will the air cell not grow as much? and if the egg is really round to where it is kind of hard to tell what end is up and the air cell is not tilted but in the middle is not going to grow because of abnormalitys or meat spots?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    the air cell will grow about the same, especially at first, whether the egg is fertile or not. A flashlight, or a flashlight app on your phone, will show you where the air cell is, and that should be up whether it's more pointy or round.

10. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    OK thank you[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by