fertile duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jonhlawless18, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jonhlawless18

jonhlawless18 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2012
    lake mary, fl
    Once a duck has been bred how long will it lay fertile eggs i know chickens lay for 14 days after being bred it is the same for ducks? Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It varies from individual to individual. Some ducks will store sperm for around 2 weeks while others have been noted to store it for close to 4 weeks.

3. jonhlawless18

May 31, 2012
    lake mary, fl
    Ok thanks how old does it take for a drake to become fertile

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I'm not sure how long, or if it works the same for all breeds of ducks, but a few years ago I had a pair of wild mallards. The male was killed and I stopped gathering eggs after about two weeks or so. I thought she had quit laying. It turns out the hen laid 21 eggs after that in an old thicket behind the house and was sitting when I finally found her. I know the earliest egg she could have laid there was at least two weeks old because she was the only mallard hen on the place at the time and I know I gathered her single egg for at least that long after the male died. (to eat, not hatch).

Anyway... she hatched out two. I busted the rest of the eggs and at least five more were partially developed, so I know she was fertile for close to a month after the male died.

I hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. jonhlawless18

May 31, 2012
    lake mary, fl
    yes thanks so much. i just got a blue ancona hen and she is laying and she was with a male blue ancona and just wanted to know how many eggs i can collect and incubate. i dont know if they like to go broody. does anyone know if anconas go broody. should i let her build her own clutch and sit or collect the eggs

6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    They might, but you can't count on it. If you really want ducklings, I would recommend incubating them yourself.

7. jonhlawless18

May 31, 2012
    lake mary, fl
    Ok how many eggs should i collect before incubating them and she is in with my pekin drake who is not mature yet and he has never seen and egg before should i be worried about him harming the eggs out of curiosity
    Thanks[​IMG]
    Here she is we love her and cant wait to see her babies

8. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the drake messing with eggs. Mine always just ignore them.

9. jonhlawless18

May 31, 2012
    lake mary, fl
    ok thanks so much for all your help i am new to ducks i rescued a little peking a few months ago from a horrible situation... and am just confused about a couple things

thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    It's no problem at all. We all look out for each other in the duck section!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by