Fertile egg damaged in shipping, or infertile? Pic included...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rainbowchick, Mar 26, 2015.

1. rainbowchick

rainbowchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Hillsborough, NC
    Had two out of six shipped eggs that were clear. I'm having a hard time with the idea that shipping would cause an otherwise fertile egg to be infertile. The blastodisk (blastoderm?) is obviously irregular shaped. And there is no blood at all. Anyone have any scientific proof that fertile eggs can become "infertile" with rough handling? I tried asking the seller to send me replacements and I would pay shipping costs, but she declined.
    [​IMG]

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I don't think the eggs become infertile. Its either fertilized or not. The embryo could die after the first cell division but the egg was still fertile. You always notice how the egg shippers state that they cant guarantee anything (including fertility) about shipped eggs.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Shipping cannot cause an egg to go from fertile to unfertile. It can kill the embryo though, especially with temperature fluctuations. Rough handling is not good either.

When the hen develops the yolk she puts the blastoderm on it. If that egg is fertilized the embryo starts developing. The hen’s internal body temperature is perfect for incubation to start and it takes about a full day for that egg to make its way through her internal egg making system. The embryo is alive and starts growing. That’s why you can see the bull’s eye after the egg has been lain. Even if the embryo dies due to handling, temperature, age, or something else the bull’s eye should still be visible when you crack it. Fertility is not the only thing that can cause a clear egg. If the embryo dies the egg will be clear.

A shipper cannot know for sure whether any specific egg is fertile or not when they ship it. They obviously cannot open it and look. You do have a reasonable expectation that the eggs will almost all be fertile. The shipper should be incubating eggs to see that they develop or at least opening some to look for the bull’s eye. If most of the eggs they open have the bull’s eye the assumption is that most of the eggs they don’t open will also have the bull’s eye. Even when I hatch my own eggs I get some clears and I normally have one rooster with seven hens. Even commercial hatcheries with experts managing the chickens for fertility get some clears.

1 person likes this.
  4. fanniefarmer

fanniefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    Salisbury, NC
    Hey Rainbowchick! I see you are from Hillsborough. I used to live there on Union Street and also in Schley many years ago. Do you know the Robinsons, Cliff and Caroline? I noticed how dark those eggs were. What are they and where did you get them?

5. rainbowchick

Sep 9, 2014
    Hillsborough, NC

Nice! We've only been here for 3 years and we don't know many people besides friends from our kids' schools and from church. If they've got kids under 10, I might know them... :)

These are Golden Cuckoo Maran eggs. Photos of Maran eggs tend to make them look darker than they actually are. In reality, the eggs I got were somewhere between a 4 and 6 on the Maran color chart. Since the breeder didn't send any extras and refuses to acknowledge that fertility is not a shipping issue (or send replacements with me paying shipping), I can't really recommend ordering from her... Sometimes I wish I didn't have a background in business so that I could just be oblivious to other's business blunders.... However, it does help me to be a better breeder myself. I've now instituted a personal refund guarantee on my own eggs I sell. If someone gets more clears than extras, I'll refund them the cost of each additional clear. They just have to send pics of the clears (opened up) on day 10 to ensure they were clears, and not just early quitters (which CAN be caused by shipping issues). So yeah, lesson learned, I suppose...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. fanniefarmer

Jan 9, 2015
    Salisbury, NC
    I understand. I've learned some hard lessons already too. But I'm still having fun with all these pretty birds with their funny personalities. It's like a day care center! So you're wanting golden cuckoo Marans? I'll keep an eye out. Maybe there are some close by so you could go pick them up.

7. rainbowchick

Sep 9, 2014
    Hillsborough, NC

It took me months to find them. There is actually someone in NC that has them, but she won't be selling till next year. And I had an order set up with someone in California, but she had yellow leg pop up and needs to test mate to see who is the carrier...
    It's a hard breed to find! I'm hoping these four will have at least one rooster and at least one hen.

8. fanniefarmer

Jan 9, 2015
    Salisbury, NC
  9. rainbowchick

Sep 9, 2014
    Hillsborough, NC
    That's actually in TN, but I emailed them anyway asking about shipping hatching eggs... Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by