Fertile egg or not???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cornishannie, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cornishannie

cornishannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    cornwall
    Hi guys! This is my first post and I'm after a bit of help! My father in law has 5 chickens which haven't laid for quite a while. I put my rooster in with them (he's almost a year old) and I checked the other day and found 3 eggs! I put them to one side and have been storing the rest since the weekend! Today I decided to break one of the first ones I found to have a look at the yolk....this is a pic! Not entirely sure what I'm looking for....had a Google but so many different pictures [​IMG][​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Looks fertile to me.

3. cornishannie

Mar 25, 2015
    cornwall
    Oooooo!! I put this photo on a Facebook site and they all said it wasn't. But when I've looked at other pictures some aren't that clear but they Are still fertile. Is it the size of the white spot aswell?

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    In a fertile egg, you'll see a flattened round disk. It looks like it is almost continuous with the yolk. In an egg that is not fertile, it will be a white spot, looking almost "granular, with very sharply defined borders. Looks like it is sitting in the yolk, just under the membrane, but does not look like it is "one with the yolk."

5. cornishannie

Mar 25, 2015
    cornwall
    That's great! Thank you for your help [​IMG]

6. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Looks like a "bulls eye" to me. I say fertile:):)

1 person likes this.
  7. cornishannie

Mar 25, 2015
    cornwall
    I opened another one this morning and it had all these bits in it and a big blood spot! Not sure what it all is!!

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Some times as an egg travels down the tract, it will sweep up bits of debris along the way. If you have a hen who frequently lays eggs like this, and you can figure out who she is, don't hatch her eggs.

9. cornishannie

Mar 25, 2015
    cornwall
    Ah so it might be because they haven't laid in quite a while! There were only 4 eggs when I looked and there were 3 more since then! There's 4 hens in with my rooster so fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by