1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile egg question..... VERY IMPORTANT!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Apr 14, 2012.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    My hen is broody and i have no eggs to supply her with at the moment.
    Here is a pic of her just for fun:
    [​IMG]

well here is my question:

If you have a fertile egg and you collect it and put it in the fridge for say around 3 or 4 weeks.....is it still fertile? could i hatch it? The temp of my fridge is always 36 degrees F. i don't know if that makes a difference. These eggs are from silkies and the rooster to hen ratio is 4 roosters to 11 hens...well was that till something got the hens and 1 roo.

also i really like well explained answers cause im a curious person and will probably ask 1 billion questions....so thank you in advanced for putting up with my questions!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    i also forgot to add that they have been stored with the big end down and some with the pointy end down... i never knew i would try and hatch them but that also could be a factor.... just a thought!

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Very slim change, but you could try. Candle them on day 5 after you put them under her, you should be able to see if it is developing.

4. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    i decided just to make the trip and go get some eggs for her!

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! Your broody will love you for getting her some eggs.

6. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    how many eggs do you think she could cover? Im getting her silkie eggs. She is the size of a serama and i am very new to this

7. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Any hen could cover at least 6. Usualy around 8-10 is ideal. 14 is max, they shouldn't ever sit on more than 14, because the eggs won't all fit under her, or the heat will not be distributed as well

10 has always been the perfect number for me, all of my hens,big or small, can cover ten.

8. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    how smalll is small?

9. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Um....small is well, I cant really describe it. Just test what she can cover by putting some fridge eggs under her, thats what I would do. Good luck!

10. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    thats a very good idea... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by