1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenphile, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    How long after mating will eggs be fertile? Can a chicken continue to lay eggs after one mating that are fertile or does she have to mate each time she lays an egg in order for it to be fertile? I know some animals can hold the sperm in their bodies for extended period of time but was unsure how it is with chickens.

My silkie has mated at least twice with her mate but laid only one egg so far.

Any info would be appreicated.

thanks
    Chris

2. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    well im no expert but like my heavy breeds i've noticed after took one away from a rooster she had about 5 fertile eggs out of 5 days, then after that they werent fertile, silkies do not lay very often for me, just mainly during the spring, and im having trouble getting fertile eggs because they dont lay often, idk i wish someone would chime in because even i would like to know!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Usually the hen will lay fertile eggs for up to three weeks after the mating stops...thats why when breeding chickens you should wait three weeks or more before actually selling the eggs as pure. I have read this MANY times on the site and then again in chicken info pages.

4. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by