fertile egg with out rooster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keara, May 22, 2010.

1. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    So there was a recent post that faded too quickly; regarding can a hen hatch an egg without a rooster. one responder said..... fact was ..... no it could not happen and the next had a laughing smilie. I just wanted to clear this up; because..... in fact...... an egg can hatch without a rooster.

If a chick hatches from an unfertilized egg it is called parthenogenesis. It's rare I'll grant you, but it happens. Mostly it happens in cornish hen eggs. See referenced link below.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/837/parthenogenesis-embryonic-development-in-unfertilized-eggs-may-impact-normal-fertilization-and-embryonic-mortality

Happens
    more frequently in frogs and such....

Because this is makes chickens even more interesting in my opinion, I wanted to bring it back up and let everyone know.

2. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    hmm.. The article is interesting. I'm sure there has been more development on this since it was written in 2007.

However, you stated in your post that "in fact an egg can hatch without a rooster" and no where in the article did I read this. It states that embriotic activity was present in unfertilized eggs. I'm going back to read again... [​IMG]

still pretty miraculous!

Lisa

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    That is a very interesting article. However, it said nothing about those eggs hatching. It said embryonic development resembled a 3 day mortality in a fertile egg. To me this means that the cells can start dividing on their own but still need a rooster to complete the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by