Fertile egg!!

TheDuckCrew

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Connecticut
My pekin duck ended up laying her egg by the edge of the pond and when i walked down there today, my little brother found it. we picked it up and it was cracked already so we carried it inside the house and cracked it open in a bowl. AND THERE WAS A FERTILE BULLSEYE!!! of course there would be with my 3 drakes and one hen (which i am working on) but it was still just exciting to see. we put the egg in the mirco then crushed it and put it in a bowl so she could get the calcium back. she has 8 eggs stored in nests right now and i'm not touching them yet. her favorite drake is getting pretty protective of the nests! its quite funny. he starts having a hissing fit when you go near the nests.

<~~~ j-e-a-l-o-u-s

a protective drake! no fair. my kc drake must be a bad father... lol
and my hen doesnt even care about sitting on them. i found 4 together the other day, and she wasnt even sitting on them.... freezing cold eggs...

lucky you! congrats!

well she won't sit on them ((yet!! i hope)) but she makes nice little nests for them (except the one found at the pond!) every night it is in her nest in the house or if she is locked out of the house (fighting drakes) then she makes a new nest. i'm leaving one in the pen and one in the house so she'll have nests where ever she is. poor chubby (her drake) is going to have two nests to protect now!!

yepp. i keep "forgetting" to get the eggs. i have to crawl to the back of the house to get them which is rather gross, so when i go to count and crawl back out, i tell my parents the current count and then they go "did you get them" me? "oh no! i forgot!! its hard to carry them when you're crouched down in a vat of duck poop sprinkled with hay." (its not really that bad, just exagerating a bit)

Back
Top Bottom