1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Fertile egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rennie, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    [​IMG]

Am i right in assuming this egg is fertile ... On the right of the yolk there is a white dot with a ring around it

I remember seeing something on this forum about fertile eggs containing a bullseye on the yolk, Is this just something that looks similar or is it a "fertility spot" ??

2. I seen the same forum and also on a candling website showing how to see if an egg is fertile...

by what i read if the egg is fertile then there will be a donut ring.. which is what ur pic is showing.. and an unfertile egg will be just a dot...

this is what i read but im not an egg expert [​IMG]

but in my opinion on what i read i would say though that its a boy/girl

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If the egg is from one of your hens I'd say it's fertile. If it's from your rabbit I doubt it, but can't be sure.

4. Quote:[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  6. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    No..Its definitely from my hen .. I think [​IMG]

Quote:Thanks for that ..From seeing those pics again ..I would say its definitely fertile ..There was a definite ring around the white spot, Im shocked it is though, Its the first egg of this hen and I only saw my roo treading her after she had laid it (Never before) He must be at it alot when they get locked in the coop at night [​IMG]

I hear the incubator calling [​IMG]

I have another question but maybe i should ask it on the hatching forum....

How do i keep eggs so I can collect some for the incubator, Say I only get one a day how would I store them so i can get six, Should i leave them in the nest or take them out and store them in an egg box?

7. I dont know the answer to that question..

but what i would do is just put them in the incubator and collect them in there but when u put them in the incubator do it quick as not to let out as much humidity and heat.

or if ur going to have r chicken hatch them, which i recommend because the hen can protect and teach the chicks more, leave them in the nesting boxes and put golf balls in there to make a nest to show the chicken they are ready to be sat on! [​IMG] Good luck to whatever you start doing! and [​IMG] congrats to the fertile egg thing! a new family of chickens! I HEAR A SITCOM!!! [​IMG]

8. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I would be happy to let any of my chickens hatch them, But i think that its going to take a while for any of them to become broody.. so second option to up the numbers in my flock is incubation

I might try 3 in there just to see what happens .. Nothing to loose ..Loads to gain [​IMG]

I do have a nest set up with 6 OEG eggs in there .. They are old now but they are just there to see if anyone will sit on them ...nothing yet though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by