fertile egg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AZ Birds, Sep 16, 2012.

1. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    so i had my quail for about 7 or 8 weeks now and have been collecting the eggs and cracking them to see if they are fertile and in most i see a white dot in the yolk does that mean it is fertile? should i wait a little longer to start incubating the eggs? i had 2 males with seven hens but one of the males is being brutal to the hens and male so he has got to go. also wondering if i have 7 females and 1 male will i have terrible fertility in eggs? i get 5 eggs a from 7 hens a day so far but i think it has to due with the AZ weather. oh yeah and my quail are jumbo brown coturnix quail.

2. I have 1:4 on day 5 so we'll see, only one way to find out...

3. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    yeah im going to start next week to much things going on this week. good luck to you i hope you get lots of babies.

4. It's in a home made bator, but has been holding temps perfectly, I will be happy with any since it is a first try. I am going to make one with 2 light bulbs in case one burns out. I will at least put a new one in for the next go round if I haven't modified by then...

5. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    sounds like a great plan and glad your home made bator is working good. i have been thinking about building a homemade incubator but haven't gotten around to do it yet. i have a hovabator with auto turner with quail and chicken racks which work good for me right now. my next one will probably be a homemade cabinet incubator since my dad can get all the 1/2 plywood and styrofoam for free at work. just haven't figured out how to make an automatic egg turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by