fertile eggcitement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LizaBlue, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    First time chickener, got our babies as day-olds April 14th and they started laying around a month ago. We have 7 hens and 2 roosters (due to neighbor's dog [​IMG] ) and the hens are giving us 3-4 eggs a day. So eggcited this morning when I cracked 6 eggs and (after comparing to photos on here) realized all were fertile! [​IMG] Hubby asked if I wanted to rush out and get an incubator for the girls, but I want to wait til spring - better for chicks, and I figure any babies hatched now would have a high rate of deformities and mortality.

Just wanted to share [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Congrats!! Means you've got some goos roos there doing their job!! [​IMG]

3. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why would you think that the chicks would have a high rate of deformities and mortality? Many hens raise chicks right through the winter although I do think if you are planning on raising them without moms help it's easier in the spring or summer, because you can put them out sooner.
    If your hens are healthy and well fed then you are not likely to have any problems with deformities, a small percentage of mortality happens but I haven't heard of any difference with regard to the time of year or the age of the parent chickens.
    [​IMG] congrads!!

4. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    I just read that for the first few months or so there was a higher chance for poorly developed chicks. My hens were born mid-April, and I really didn't expect them to start laying until October. The eggs are still pretty small compared to store-bought, except for one double size one we haven't cracked yet that I'm betting has 2 yolks - it barely fit in the carton! I just think the chicks will have a better chance if the eggs are normal size at least...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by