1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile eggs..a big surprise

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pw_quiltworks, Nov 10, 2010.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Ok so I have a Huge black jersey giant hen, a buff orph hen, and 2 white silkie hens. I have one silkie rooster. Today I cracked one of the Jumbo brown eggs and it was fertile. The silkies only lay white eggs so I know it's one of the large hens. I did not think Fred could get that big black hens egg fertile. Course it might be the buff orphs egg. I don't think so though. I would have thought the huge egg came from that huge jersey giant. I have seen Fred doing his thing with the jersey giant and to tell you the truth I did not think he could do anything. I can tell you it was not a graceful sight. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Bad..bad..bad. [​IMG] I know this does not make sense. I am just surprised the huge tan egg is fertile. I do know what a fertile egg looks like. And trust me it is fertile. Big old target. Maybe I will incubate the next one. So is it possible for that Jersey Giant to have fertile eggs from that white silkie roo? I am just so confused.

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    yep it can also be the opposite jersey giant roo and silkie hen....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Jersey Giant rooster X silky hen= dead or injured silky hen in most instances.

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:That just seems so odd to me. My silkies are tiny. I learned something today. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by