1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile eggs! Ahhhh! I need a bigger bator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPox, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    My hens are actually starting to LAY and now I've got more eggs than I know what to do with! I cracked open the very first one layed, because I knew for sure it wouldn't be fertile. [​IMG]

Say hello and goodbye to what was potentially Fancy's first offspring! D'OH!

[​IMG]

My daughter wouldn't touch it because I declared it fertile. [​IMG] But my son ate it with gusto.

These are purebred silkie babies we are going to be eating!!! I need a bigger bator!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    A closer pic:
    [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Beautiful plate. Nice fertile egg, too.

4. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Thanks, the plate was a gift from my sister for Christmas. The egg was a gift from my Porcelain Silkie, Fancy! [​IMG]

I have 7 eggs as of tonight. They are going in the bator. I will still collect them and replace as I go if I end up with clears. If it's looking like I'm not getting clears, I will pray for one of my babies to go broody! Hahaha!

5. cartersmith

cartersmith Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    how do you know its fertile?????? that little white thing by the yolk

6. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Yes Carter.....see in the closeup pic where there is a "bullseye" looking white dot on it? That means it's fertile. All eggs have a small white dot on the yolk, but if it looks like a bullseye, it's fertile. [​IMG]

7. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

you mean No Carter, not the white thing BY the yolk. you tell by the bullseye, look closer, see the bullseye? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by