Fertile eggs and air travel?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmericanMom, Jan 18, 2015.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Ok, done some research but having a time getting an answer or if anyone has even tried this..

My sis lives in Oklahoma and just got the most beautiful Blue Auracana (sp) Rooster I think I have ever seen, I have BR Turkeys and we want to trade eggs.. We are going to be flying out to watch her son walk down the isle in June and wondered if anyone has experience with whether fertile eggs can take the altitude? If it is allowed I would bring her a dozen fertile eggs in my carry on and bring back a dozen fertile eggs the same way.. Im in Oregon

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
  3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
  4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    no I understand that but if your worried about safety about them you can wrap them in bubblewrap and put them in a simple cardboard box.

5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Gotcha! [​IMG]

I am more worried tho if the high altitude can take harm the fertile egg

6. rnchick74

rnchick74 Urban Chick Keeper

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    No, the altitude won't hurt them as shipped eggs are often on planes in their shipping process. However, if you take them on the plane with you, they will have to go through x-ray, which could damage them. You can request to hand inspect them, but you run the risk of TSA saying you can't take them on the plane since they are eggs (food), or animals...

Good luck!

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    How about packing them in a suitcase? Do those go thru xrays?

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Oh forget that, I don't want to do that lol

9. rnchick74

rnchick74 Urban Chick Keeper

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    depends on the airline, but have you seen how they handle suitcases?? You would be better off shipping!

10. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    If you know which airline you are travelling with give them a call and ask the regulations regarding eggs on board - or check with your airport regarding screening processes at the gate.
    Good luck! A blue Araucana roo is worth the hassle, I have some eggs in the incubator now that are all different colours of Araucana, I have lavender already but really like the blue and being the greedy sort I am hoping for some red/black ones too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by