fertile eggs at the grocery store ?

MommyM

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
California
Ok, last night I was at Trader Joes and I was getting a carton of eggs. Then I saw some that said "Fertile Eggs" on them. My husband said "Oh, let's get them and hatch them!" But, they're refridgerated, that's not going to work, I said "I think they're for eating..." Do people eat fertilized chicken eggs? I never saw this before. Please excuse my weird question!

Yes, people eat fertilized eggs. Some believe they are healthier for you, but that isn't true. There's no nutritional value difference in fertile and infertile eggs. I eat fertilized all the time, or did before my rooster died.

I've seen where people have hatched fertilized refrigerated eggs! I'd LOVE to try and find some to hatch. I've never seen them around here, but if I ever do, I'm hatching some! You want to talk about a "cheap" way to get some hatching eggs!
smile.png

I'm a sous chef & I can tell you from experience that it doesn't make a "lick" of difference...

I wish they sold them here as I would like to try to hatch a batch and I wouldn't loose much money if they didn't. I spent $20 on some that were never refrigerated to have a ZERO hatch:( I've eaten them before because they place I bought some eating eggs from also had a rooster with the hens and they didn't taste any different than non-fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom