fertile eggs at the grocery store ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MommyM, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MommyM

MommyM Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    California
    Ok, last night I was at Trader Joes and I was getting a carton of eggs. Then I saw some that said "Fertile Eggs" on them. My husband said "Oh, let's get them and hatch them!" But, they're refridgerated, that's not going to work, I said "I think they're for eating..." Do people eat fertilized chicken eggs? I never saw this before. Please excuse my weird question!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, people eat fertilized eggs. Some believe they are healthier for you, but that isn't true. There's no nutritional value difference in fertile and infertile eggs. I eat fertilized all the time, or did before my rooster died.

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

people have hatched refiderated eggs.. i have.. and some hadve hatched ducks,, and on and on..

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

before you try to hatch them check the julian date and exp date. they might be way to old. Ive heard of refrigerated eggs hatching. not the best but they hatched.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've seen where people have hatched fertilized refrigerated eggs! I'd LOVE to try and find some to hatch. I've never seen them around here, but if I ever do, I'm hatching some! You want to talk about a "cheap" way to get some hatching eggs! [​IMG]

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've read that chefs prize fertilized eggs more. Not sure why.

7. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    I'm a sous chef & I can tell you from experience that it doesn't make a "lick" of difference...

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I wish they sold them here as I would like to try to hatch a batch and I wouldn't loose much money if they didn't. I spent $20 on some that were never refrigerated to have a ZERO hatch:( I've eaten them before because they place I bought some eating eggs from also had a rooster with the hens and they didn't taste any different than non-fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by